Hover over the Guest Page Links; Click to go to the Page. Click on Guest Family Tree Page Links.
Subscriber Page Links and Subscriber Family Tree Page Links are Subscribers only.
Hover over paintings for larger versions. Click on the Arms to go to the Heraldry pages. Click on Home in the Menu above to go to today's On This Day in History page.
St Margaret's Church
After 22 May 1455 William Cotton 1410-1455 was buried at St Margaret's Church.
On 31 Oct 1494 Thomas Hungerford 1444-1494 (50) died at St Margaret's Church.
After 14 Mar 1500 Mary Folville 1423-1500 was buried at St Margaret's Church.
On 19 Mar 1553 Richard Cecil 1495-1553 (58) died at Canon Row. He was buried at St Margaret's Church. Monument to Richard Cecil 1495-1553 (58) and his wife Jane Heckington in St Martin's Church, Stamford. Kneeling figures under an elaborate cornice. Attributed to Cornelius Cure -1607.
Before 03 Jul 1560 George Tuchet 9th Baron Audley Heighley -1560 died. He was buried on 03 Jul 1560 in St Margaret's Church. His Son Henry Tuchet 10th Baron Audley Heighley, 7th Baron Tuchet -1563 succeeded 10th Baron Audley Heighley in Staffordshire, 7th Baron Tuchet. Elizabeth Sneyd Baroness Audley Heighley by marriage Baroness Audley Heighley in Staffordshire.
On 12 Jul 1586 Edward Dudley 4th Baron Dudley 1525-1586 (61) died. He was buried at St Margaret's Church. His Son Edward Dudley 5th Baron Dudley 1567-1643 (18) succeeded 5th Baron Dudley. Theodosia Harrington Baroness Dudley by marriage Baroness Dudley.
On 10 Nov 1599 Margaret Radclyffe of Ordsall Hall 1573-1599 (26) died at Richmond Palace, Richmond. She had never recovered from the news of her twin brother Alexander Radclyffe of Ordsall Hall 1573-1599 death earlier in the year.Margaret was buried in St Margaret's Church with all the ceremonies of a great lady's obsequies. Queen Elizabeth I of England and Ireland (66) ordered the Court into mourning.A magnificent monument was erected over her grave at the Queen's expense, and Ben Jonson wrote the inscription for it:
Marble weep, for thou dost cover
A dead beauty underneath thee,
Rich as nature could bequeath thee:
Grant, then, no rude hand remove her.
All the gazers on the skies
Read not in fair heaven's story
Expresser truth or truer glory,
Than they might in her bright eyes.
Rare as wonder was her wit;
And like nectar ever flowing:
Till time, strong by her bestowing,
Conquered have both life and it.
Life whose grief was out of fashion
In these times. Few have so rued
Fate in a brother. To conclude,
For wit, feature, and true passion
Earth, thou hast not such another.
The monument is no longer extant.
On 05 Feb 1605 Edward Stafford 1552-1605 (53) died. He was buried at St Margaret's Church.
On 15 Jul 1619 Henry Jerningham of Cotesby Hall 1533-1619 (86) died. He was buried in St Margaret's Church.
On 19 May 1639 Charles Weston 3rd Earl Portland 1639-1665 was christened at St Margaret's Church.
On 27 Nov 1640 Barbara Villiers 1st Duchess Cleveland 1640-1709 was born to William Villiers 2nd Viscount Grandison 1614-1643 (26) and Mary Bayning Countess Anglesey at St Margaret's Church.
On 01 Dec 1655 Samuel Pepys Diarist 1633-1703 (22) and Elizabeth de St Michel 1640-1669 (15) were married at St Margaret's Church by Richard Sherwyn, Esq, a Westminster Justice of the Peace, an arrangement for civil marriages put in place by Cromwell’s government.
On 15 Nov 1666 John Glynne 1602-1666 (64) died. He was buried in his own vault under the alter at St Margaret's Church.
Samuel Pepy's Diary 1669 May. Sunday 09 May 1669. Lord’s day. Up and, after dressing in my best suit with gold trimming, I to the Navy Office, Seething Lane, and there with Richard Gibson and Tom finishing against to-morrow my notes upon Commanders’ Instructions; and, when church-time, to St Olave's Church, Hart Street with my Elizabeth de St Michel 1640-1669 (28), leaving them at work. Daniel Milles Rector -1689 preached a dull sermon, and so we home to dinner; and thence by coach to St Andrew's Church, Holborn, thinking to have heard Edward Stillingfleet Bishop Worcester 1635-1699 (34) preach, but we could not get a place, and so to St Margaret's Church, and there heard a sermon, and did get a place, the first we have heard there these many years, and here at a distance I saw Betty Howlett, but she is become much a plainer woman than she was a girl. Thence towards the Hyde Park, but too soon to go in, so went on to Knightsbridge, and there eat and drank at “World's End, Knightsbridge,” where we had good things, and then back to the Park, and there till night, being fine weather, and much company, and so home, and after supper to bed. This day I first left off both my waistcoats by day, and my waistcoat by night, it being very hot weather, so hot as to make me break out, here and there, in my hands, which vexes me to see, but is good for me.
In 1679 Thomas Sprat Bishop 1635-1713 (44) was appointed Lecturer at St Margaret's Church.
On 26 May 1723 John West 6th Baron De La Warr 1663-1723 (60) died. He was buried at St Margaret's Church. His Son John West 1st Earl De La Warr 1693-1766 (30) succeeded 7th Baron De La Warr (2C 1570). Charlotte Maccarthy Baroness De La Warr by marriage Baroness De La Warr (2C 1570).
On 14 Jul 1727 George Neville 1st Earl Abergavenny 1727-1785 was christened at St Margaret's Church.
On 29 Jun 1770 Robert Jenkinson 2nd Earl Liverpool 1770-1828 was baptised at St Margaret's Church.
On 30 Nov 1777 John West 2nd Earl De La Warr 1729-1777 was buried at St Margaret's Church.
Times Newspaper Marriages. 01 Aug 1892. The marriage of Victor Christian William Cavendish 9th Duke Devonshire 1868-1938 (24), MP, eldest son of the late Edward Cavendish 1838-1891, and nephew and heir presumptive of tho Spencer Cavendish 8th Duke Devonshire 1833-1908 (59), to Evelyn Emily Mary Petty-Fitzmaurice Duchess Devonshire 1870-1960 (21), eldest daughter of the Henry Petty-Fitzmaurice 5th Marquess Lansdowne 1845-1927 (47), Viceroy of India, took place on Saturday afternoon in St Margaret's Church. The church was tastefully decorated with flowers. A large crowd assembled outside the church long before half-past 2, the hour fixed for the ceremony, but admittance could only be obtained by those favoured with invitations or tickets. Shortly before 2 o'clock, Victor Christian William Cavendish 9th Duke Devonshire 1868-1938 (24) entered by the east door, secompanied by his brother, Richard Frederick Cavendish 1871-1946 (21), who dlscharged the duties of best man, and took up his position at the chancel steps. Meanwhile the bridesmaids, eight in number, assembled inside the entrance. They were Blanche Harriet Egerton 1871-1943 (21), eldest daughter of the Francis Leveson-Gower 1824-1895 (67) and Louisa Caroline Cavendish 1835-1907 (57), cousin of the bridegroom; Frances Louisa Spencer-Churchill 1870-1954 (21) eldest daughter of the Marchioness of Blandford, Mary Maud Anson 1869-1961 (23), daughter of the Earl of Lichfield, Katharine Mary Montagu-Douglas-Scott 1875-1951 (17), daughter of the William Henry Walter Montagu-Douglas-Scott 6th Duke Buccleuch, 8th Duke Queensberry 1831-1914 (60); Gladys Mary Hamilton Countess Wicklow 1880-1917 (12), daughter of the James Hamilton 2nd Duke Abercorn 1838-1913 (53), Miss Muriel Herbert, second cousin of the bride; Dorothy Beatrix Godolphin Osborne 1888-1946 (3), daughter of the George Godolphin Osborne 10th Duke Leeds 1862-1927 (29); and Margery Digby, daughter of Colonel and Emily Petty-Fitzmaurice, cousin of the bride.
They were attired alike in dresses of white satin veiled with lisse, the bodices being arranged with fichus having small frills at the edge, and tied in large bows in front, and wore Gainsborough hats trimmed with white feathers and pale pink roses. Each carried a shower bouquet of pink roses and wore a diamond snake brooch, the Cavendish crest, a present from the bridegroom. Master Harry Strettfeild, son of Colonel and Florence Beatrice Anson 1860-1946 (32), acted as psge, and wore a costume of white velvet, and a diamond scarf-pin, the bridegroom's gift.
The bride, who arrived punctually at half-past 2, was met at the entrance by the clergy and choir, and a procession being formed, advanced up the aisle, the choristers singing "The voice that breathed o'er Eden" to a setting by Barnby. The Bishop of London, uncle of the bride-groom, performed the nuptial rite, and was assisted in the service by the Rev. John Duncan, M.A., Vicar of CaIne, Wilts, and chaplain to the Marquis of Lansdowne, the Rev. C. Gore and the Rev. H. Rounsell. The music used throughout the service was by Barnby, and included " Jlesn, lover of my soul," from the Hymnary, and " For all the Saints who from their labours rest." The bride, who, in the absence of the Viceroy, was given away by her Henry Petty-Fitzmaurice 5th Marquess Lansdowne 1845-1927 (47), wore a dress of rich white satin duchesse trimmed with beautiful Brussels point lace; the skirt being plainly made, and having a very narrow trimming round the hem. Her tulle veil fell from a wreath of orange flowers and her ornaments included a diamond necklace and a pearl necklace, the gift of her father, thee diamond stars, given by Lady Edward Cavendish, and a fine diamond bracelet, presented to her by the Viceregal Staff in India. At the conclusion of the ceremony the bridal party proceeded to the vestry and signed the registers, the attestors being the Maud Evelyn Hamilton Marchioness Lansdowne 1850-1932 (42), the Spencer Cavendish 8th Duke Devonshire 1833-1908 (59), the James Hamilton 2nd Duke Abercorn 1838-1913 (53), Lady Edward Cavendish, and the Dowager Maarchioness of Lansdowne, during which the organist plaved the March from St. Polycarp.
As the bride, and bridegroom left the church Mendelssohn's Wedding March was played, acd the hells of St. Margaret's rang out a merry peal. The reception was held at ffampden-houlse, lent for the occasion by the Duke and Duchess of Abercorn. In the Lawrence Room was stationed Herr Wurms's White Vienna Band, and refreshments were served in the dining room, the long buffet being profusely decorated with choice white flowers admirably arranged in a number of large silver bowls. Among the company present were the Spencer Cavendish 8th Duke Devonshire 1833-1908 (59), the William Henry Walter Montagu-Douglas-Scott 6th Duke Buccleuch, 8th Duke Queensberry 1831-1914 (60) and Louisa Jane Hamilton Duchess Buccleuch, Duchess Queensbury 1836-1912 (56) of Bucceuch, the Duke and Duchess of Abercorn, the Duchess Dowager of Abercorn, the Duchess of Leeds and the Ladies Godolphin Osborne, the Dowager Maarchioness of Lansdowne, Lady Edward Cavendish, Lady Frederick Cavendish, the Countess of Kerry, Lord Charles Fitzmaurice, Lord and Lady Edmond Fitzmaurice, the Marchioness of Salisbury and Lady Gwrendolen Cecil, the Marchioness of Blandford and the Ladies Spencer Churchill, the Marquis of Headtort, the Dowager Marchioness of Waterford, the Marchioness of Waterford, the Countess of Normanton and Lady Mary Agar, the Countess of Mayo and Lady Florence Bourke, the Earlof Ava. theEarl and Countess of Morley, and Lady Katherine Parker the Earl and Countess of Minto and the Ladies Elliot Countess Percy and the Ladies Percy, Earl Winterton Countess Spencer, the Earl and Countess of St Germans and Mliss Lascelles, the Earl of Camperdown, Viscount Cross, Viscountess Galway, Viscountess Hampden and the Hon. Miss Brand, Lord Robert Cecil, Lady Alexandra Hamilton, Lady Gladys Hamilton, Lord John Hamnilton, Lord Henry Fitzgerald, LadyHelen Feruson,Lady Li ian Yorkeand Miss Pelly, Lady Rovelstokc and the HIon. M£i5S Baring, Lady George Hamlton, Lady lantage, Lord Frederick Hamilton, the Ladies Egerton, Lord and Lady Alexander Russcll, Lady Constance Scott, Lady Harris, Lady Louisa Blagelis, Lady Beatrix Herbert and Miss Uuriel Herbert, Lady Mauriel Boyle, Lady Lyttelton, Lady Fanny Marjoribanks, Lady Olliffe and Mlliss Olliffe, Lady Abercromby, Lady Claud Hamilton, Lady William Osborne Elphinstone, the Hon. Lady Yoley, the Hon. Charles Gore, Mr. and Mrs. Childers, 1r. Chaplin, the Hon. bliss Roberts and Miss Pryde, Hon. Percy Wyndham and Miss Pamela KWyndham and the .on. MIary lVyndham, the Hon. Thomas Egerton, thec Hon. C. Anson, the Hon. Mrs. Assheton 6?urzon, the Hon. Lionel Holland, the Hon. Alexander Hood, Mlajor the Hon Montagu and M1rs. COrzon, the Hon. Mrs. Agar Ellis, Mr. and Lady Louise Loder, Lady Sybil Beauclerk, Sir James Ramsden, Sir George Baden-Powell Sir Thomas and Lady Brooks, Sir Andrew Scobie, Sir. Henry and Miss James, General Sir Hugh and Lady Gough, Sir Donald Wallace, Colonel and Lady Emily Digby, MIr. and Lady Helena Heneasge, Sir George and Lady Young, General Arthur Ellis, Ilrs. Grenfell, BMrs. Temple, Mr. Hercert, MIrs. Reginald Brett, Miss Chandos Pole, Mr. IV. H. Grenfell, Mrs. Arthur Barclay, Admiral and Mrs. F. Robinson, Mr. Leveson-Gower, Mr. G. Leveson-Gower, Mr. and Mrs. Albert Grey, Mr. Reginald Loder, Mr. Leeson, Colonel Ian and MN rs. Haamilton, Mr. James Cavendish, Mr. and.Mrs. Baillie Hamilton, Mr. and Mirs. P. Ponsonby, Mrs. Francis Gore, and many others. Later in the afternoon Mr. and Lady Evelyn Cavendish left for Bowood-park, Lord Lansdowne's seat in Wiltshire, for the honeymoon. Lady Evelyn Cavendish travelled in a dress of ptle blue radzimir, trimmed with white embroidered lisse, with lar-e revers of white moire antique, and wore a large black hat.
The Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom 1819-1901 (73) presented the bride with an Indian shawl, and the bridegroom with a bronze statuette of herself, with the inscription, "Presented to Victor Cavendish by Victoria, R.I., 1892." The Empress Eugenie gave the bride a ruby and diamond watch bracelet, and Princess Christian presented the bridegroom with 12 volumes of Tennyson's poems, bound in white calf. The other presents to the bride included, from the bridegroom, a superb diamond tiara, an antique chatelaine watch set in diamonds, and a sapphire and diamond bracelet; from the Marchioness of Lansdowne, a diamond necklace and a pearl necklace; the Duke and Duchess of Buecleuch, a diamond and pearl necklace; the Duke of Devonshire, a three-stringed pearl necklace the Ducchess of 'Abercorm, pair of gold links with tucquoise in centre; the Duke of Abercorn, silver and tortoiseshell box; the Dowager Duchess of Abercorn, gold and enamel filagree tulip watch, gold bracelet with motto, and four silver-gilt shell dishes; the Duke of Westminster, a necklace of brilliantts, pink topazes, beryls, and white enamel olira leaves; the MIa-quis of Lansdowne's staff diamond heart bracelet; the Duke and Duchess of St. Albans, pair of amber heart-shaped links with diamond centres; the Duke and Duchess of Bedford, diamond and carbuncle horseshoe brooch: the Dowager M1archioness of Lansdowne, diamond and sapphire thistle brooch the Earl of Mlount Edgeumbe, diamond and sapphire bangle; the Earl of Durham, diamond and sapphire brooch, the Marquis de Lavalette, ring with large pearl in centre and iamonds; La Marquise de Lavalette, diamond flowver brooch; the Earl and Countess of Powis, silver ink-stand and candlesticks; the Earl of Kerry and Lord Charles Fitzmaur.ce, silver tea service in case; Earl and Countess Winterton, fluted silver bowl; Countess Russell, silver fan-shaped box; the Earl of Rosebery 2 pair of silver candlesticks; the MIarquis of Tullibardine, pair of tortoiseshell and silver opera-glasses the Countess of Lichfield, pair of carved rosewood book shelves; the Countess of Kerry, pair of silver candlesticks; the Marquis of Hamilton, two silver pepper-boxes in case; the Duke of Athole, silver and tortoiseshell inkstand and tray with letter clip; Countess Granville, fitted luncheon basket;fhe MIarquis of Bath, tortoiseshell and silver photo frame Earl and Countess Fitzwilliam, silver-gilt box; the Dowager Marchioness of Waterford, leather dressing-case with silver-gilt fittings; the Earl and Countess of Ilchester, painted lace fan; the Earl of Dalkeith. lace fanD; tnc Eiarl of Northbrook, act of enamelled trays; the Marchioness of Headfort, six fruit knives with malachite handles; the Earl of Ava, crystal seal with diamond-beaded snake entwined; Countess Spencer, pair of large Mintonvases; the MIarchioness ot Blandfora, a framed engraving; Louise, Duchess of Manchester, carriage-basket with clock, &c. the Countess of Minto, Louis XVI. clock; Earl and Coun tess of Wharneliffe, large copper jardiniere on iron stand; Earl and Countess Cowrper, Louis XV clock,; Lord Wolverton silver and copper card-case and memo-book; Lord and Lady Strathrnore. heart-shaped mirror in silver frame; Lord aBnd Lady P.oay, silver trinket tray on stand; Viscount Turnour, silver shell tray; Lady Claud AnSOn, silver tray; Lord and Lady Edmunud Fitzmaurice, pearl and diamond brooch; Viscountess Cranborne ann Lady Esther Gore, gold curb bracelet with crimson enamel heart; Lord and Lady Mount Stephen,. a Sable travelling rug; Lady Edward S*vs;di'eA4d tars viacoant Valetort, diamond bracelet: l; dy Robert Cecil and Lady Anne Lambton, pair of gold and malachite links; the Ladies Churchill, silver-mounted heart-shaped tortoise-shell tray; Lady Suffolk, diamond and pearl brooch; Lord Frederick Hamilton, enamel miniature locket set with pearls; Lord Henry Scott, silver tea-caddy the Earl of Caraperdown, silver box; Lord Alington, three-fold screen; Dowager Lady Ashburton and Mliss Digby, screen; Lord and Lady Roberts, Indian silver bowl; Lady Amnpthill, :gilt carriage clock; Lady Leconfield, rosewood specimen table; Lord and Lady Willoughby de Eresby, tortoiseshell and silver tea-caddy; Viscount and Viscountess Cross, hammered silver tray; Lady Abercromby, gold box with enamelled cross and pearl in centre; Lord Revelstoke Savres chin-: vase; Lady Revelstoke, gold-mounted torto.iseshell paper knife; Lord Rowton, silver-gilt vase; Lady Wantage, Louis XV. clock; Viscount and Viscountess Newport, pair of agate trays; Lord and Lady Ernest Hamilton,two Crorwn Derby ink-pots and tua7; Earl and Countes5 oEf Morley, pair of silver-gilt mounted claret jugs; Lady Beatrice Fitzmaurice, chased silver teapot; Lady Carrington, silver hot-milk jug-; archioness of Carmarthen, ostrich feather fan; Mrs. 3ontefiore, inlaid cabinet table vith marble top; Hon C Lambton, small silver dish; Mrs. Temple, sil-er bell; Mr Thomas Baring, gold necklace with onys Dendant set. in diamonds; 3r. John Baring, gold curb bracelet with moonstone heart surmonnted with rubies and diamonds; Hon. Miss Baring, diamond and enamel heart brooch; Mrs. Sackville West, gold ball hatpin set with diamonds . Mrs. Grace, silver inkstand and tray; Sir Tatton and Lady Sykes,massive silver-framed:mirror.; Sir Alerander Iackenzie, gold safety-pin brooch set with pearls and diamonds; Captain and Mrs. Cecil Cavendish, silver-mounted pin-cushion; Hon. Mrs Wyndharn, silver buckle Mrr and Lady Fanny hlarioribanks, piece of Indian plate; Mr. and hMrs. W. Grenfell, copper and brass standard lamp; General Brackenbury, large silver-mounted:scent bottle, Mr. and Lady Louise Loder, silver inkstand and tray; MIr. Cyril Flower, large Venetian glass bowl hlr. and Irs. Childers, Dresden china tdte-&-tetc tea service Lord Lansdowne's WViltshire tenants, diamond bracelet. The bridegroom's presents included --From the Duchess of Westminster, tortoiseshell blotting case inlaid with gold; the Marquis and Marchioness of Lansdowne, sl1ver salver; the Marquis of Blandford, silver-gilt card case; the Earl of Chesterfield, silver flask; Mr. R. Cavendish, Eervice of plate in walnut case; the Dowager Marchioness of Lansdowne, large diamond scarf-pin; the Dowrager Duchess of Abercorn, silver cofee pot; the Duke and Duchess of Leeds, gold and bloodstone seal,; the Marquis and Marchioness of Stafford, tortoiseshell and silver calendar frame Lady Frederick Cavendish, 24 volumes of George Eliot's works; the Countess of Bectivo, crystal and gold bos; the Marchioness of Salisbury, pair of tall silver salt cellars and spoons in case; Louise, Duchess of Manchester, silver milk jug; the Marquis of Granby, silver-mounted walking stick; Viscount 'Wolmer, silver-mounted hunting crop; Viscount and Viscountes6 Portman, half-a-dozen silver-gilt dessert spoons in a case; Earl of Arran, gold and nearl Albert chain; Lord and Lady Burton and Hon. ellie Bass, antique silver box; Lady Taunton, pair of silver candlesticks; Lord Ampthill, massive silver-mounted inkstand; Lord and Lady Henry Bentinek, silver hot milk jug; Sir Thomas asd Lady Brooke, pair of antique b-rass ornaments; Lord and Lady Herschell, silver-mounted blotter; Hon. W. and Mrs. Cavendish, silver-mounted hock jug; Sir H. and Lady Mleysey Thompson, silver-gilt match box and tray; Hon. A. Lyttelton, silver-mounted riding whip; Hon E. Cavendish, silver grenade cigar lighter; Lord Vernon, silver.tobacco box; Lord and Lady Chesham, gold and enamel pencil-case Lord and Lady Penrhyn, four silver salt cellars and spoons; Viscount and Viscountess Hampden, silver coffee-pot; the Earl and Countess of St. toermans, pair of vases; the Countess of Leicester, silver and tortoiseshell scimitar paper cutter; Sir George Baden Powell, silver-mounted ebony stick; Sir Henry James, set of pearl studs; Colonel J. C. Cavendish, silver inkstand; Viscount St. Cyres, silver-mounted walking-stick; Lord and Lady Belper, silver inkstand; Ron. J. Mansfield, silver match-box; Hon. F. Leveson-Gower, two engravings; Earl Spencer, silver sandwich box and flask in casel; Mr and Lady Harriet Cavendish, a silver-mounted driving whip.
In 01 Feb 1911 Hugo Francis Charteris 1884-1916 (27) and Violet Catherine Manners 1888-1971 (23) were married at St Margaret's Church. The reception at 16 Arlington Street, Arlington Street, St James'.
Times Newspaper Marriages. 02 Feb 1911. The Hon. Hugo Charteris, eldest son of Hugo Charteris 11th Earl Wemyss 1857-1937 (53) and Mary Constance Wyndham Countess Wemyss 1862-1937 (48) and grandson of the Francis Richard Charteris 10th Earl Wemyss 1818-1914 (92), was married yesterday at St Margaret's Church, to Violet Catherine Manners 1888-1971 (23), second daughter of the Henry John Brinsley Manners 8th Duke Rutland 1852-1925 (58) and Violet Lindsay Duchess Rutland 1856-1937 (54). The wedding excited much interest, and by the time the bride arrived at the church there was a crowd which extended halfway across Parliament-square. The service was held at 2.15, and by 2 o'clock there was not a vacant seat in the church. The choir stalls and the chancel entrance wetre decorated with flowers, mainly arum lilies. While the guests were assembling the " March " from Trmihauser was played and a guard of honour, supplied by O 'quadron 'of the Gloucestershire Yeomanry, in which the bridegroom holds a commission, lined the. asle.
The bridesmaids, the Ladies Victoria Marjorie Harriet Manners Marchioness Anglesey 1883-1946 (27) and Diana Olivia Winifred Maud Manners Viscountess Norwich 1892-1986 (19),Manners (the bride's sisters), the Mary Pamela Madeline Sibell Charteris 1895-1991 (16) and the Irene Corona Charteris Countess Plymouth 1902-1989 (9) Charteris (sisters of the bridegrom), the Hon. Irene Lawley, Miss Nancy, Lindsay, Miss Elizabeth Manners, and M1iss Felicity Tree awaited the bride by the west door. They were wearing frocks designed from a picture by Botticelli. The gowns of the elder bridesmaids were of champagne; coloured crepe-de-chine with a pink foundation. An embroidery of green leaves showed at the neok and waist. Small roses and daisies were embroidered over the whole frock, and touches ot red velvet appeared beneath the hem and at the elbow. They wore net caps trimmed with red rosebuds. The two younger bridesmaids, who walked immediately behind the bride, wore frocks of pink chiffon, and wreaths of red roses in their hair. The Henry John Brinsley Manners 8th Duke Rutland 1852-1925 (58) accompanied Violet Catherine Manners 1888-1971 (23) to the church. The Guy Lawrence Charteris 1886-1967 (25) was best man.
The bride's dress was of white charmeuse with a tunic of old English lace, held in at the waist by a band of gold tissue. The train was of gold brocade mounted on white velvet, at the hem of which were worked in gold the heraldic designs of the Rutland and Wemyss families. The Bishop of Derby officiated, assisted by Canon McCormick and the Rev. F. W. Knox (private chaplain to the Duke of Rutland). A wedding march composed for the occasion by Mr. Raymond Roze was played as the bride and bride-groom left the chut&b.
The Kathleen Emily Bulkeley-Williams Duchess Wellington 1848-1927 (62), wearing a dress of old rose velvet with furs and a hat with rose-coloured plumes, brought her daughter, Eileen Wellesley 1887-1952 (23), who was dressed in sapphire blue velvet, The Violet Lindsay Duchess Rutland 1856-1937 (54) wore a tunic of grey moire velours over grey chiffon velvet, caught at the shoulders by diamond ornaments, with long tasselled ende falling, in front of the skirt. Her hat was trimmed with flamingo plumes wirith touches of eau-de-nil. The Marchioness of Anglesey wore black satin, witb a hat crowned with many small white plumes. Theh Mfarchioness of Tweeddale wvore a coat and skirt of black braided velvet and a large hat adorned with a royal blue feather. The Prime Minister was present vwith his sister-in-law, Mrs. Oraham Smith. who wore a long black brocaded wrap over a dress of dark material. The Hon. Alfred Lyttelton was accompanied by Mxl. Lyttelton, who was dressed in black satin with touches of bright blue. The French, Germian, and Spanish Ambassadors were also present. Lady Tree wore a dress of Ermine fur, with a hat of green felt trimmed with everlasting flowers; and Lady Lytton wore an embroidered cloak over a dress of grey material, and a small toque with green feathers. Lady Beatrico Rawson, who was wearing pale mauve, brought her daughter, Miss Violet Rawson, who was dressed in navy blue. The Earl and Countess of Wemyss arrived a few minutes before the bride, the latter dressed in soft grey ehil!on voile with marten furs, and wearing a toque trimmed with smalU grey feathers, Lady Beat-rice Hlerbert, who cameo with Viscountess Ingestre, was dressed in black velvet, with a crimson cloak and a collar of old point lace.
On 26 Apr 1911 Algernon Strutt 3rd Baron Belper 1883-1956 (27) and Eva Isabel Countess Rosebery 1892-1987 (18) were married at St Margaret's Church.
Times Newspaper Marriages. 27 Jan 1916. MARRIAGE OF LORD GRANBY
The marriage of the John Henry Montagu Manners 9th Duke Rutland 1886-1940 (29), only son of the Henry John Brinsley Manners 8th Duke Rutland 1852-1925 (63) and Violet Lindsay Duchess Rutland 1856-1937 (59), to Kathleen Tennant Duchess Rutland 1895-1989 (21), youngest daughter of Francis John Tennant of Innes 1861-1942 (55) and Annie Geraldine Redmayne 1864-1956 (52) Frank Tennant, of Innes House, Elgin, Moray, took place yesterday at St Margaret's Church. There was a very large attendance, and a number of those present brought young children vith them.
The Kathleen Tennant Duchess Rutland 1895-1989 (21), who was given away by her Francis John Tennant of Innes 1861-1942 (55), wore a Venetian gown of white satin with a gold, brocade train four yards long and a short mantlet of old Venetian family lace; the sleeves were long and close-fitting, and she had a long white net veil with a wreath of orange blossoms. She carried a copy of the marriage service embroidered in seed pearl and coloured silks, worked by her mother after an old design in the British Museum.
Diana Olivia Winifred Maud Manners Viscountess Norwich 1892-1986 (24), who was one of the bridesmaids, designed the bridesmaids' gowns in the medieval manner; they were of white chiffon belted in silver worn with flowing veils of blue tulle held bv silver bands. Each of the bridesmaids carried a tail branch of almond blossom; the others were Miss Elizabeth Asquith, Miss Mary Lyttelton, and Miss Violet Warrenrder. The Stephen Tennant 1906-1987 (9), wlho wore a Romeo suit with a jewelleed belt, was the page. Captain Charles-Lindsay, Grenadier Guards, was best man. Hugh Richard Lawrie Sheppard Priest 1880-1937 (35), Sub-Dean of the Chapels Royal, and the Rev. F. W. Knox, the Henry John Brinsley Manners 8th Duke Rutland 1852-1925 (63) chaplain, performed the ceremony.
SOME OF THE GOWNS. The Henry John Brinsley Manners 8th Duke Rutland 1852-1925 (63) was among the first to come to the church, and most of the guests were there early. Thre Prime Minister arrived with Mr. and Mrs. Bonhlam-Carter, anld Mr. Balfour with a party which included Mr. and Mrs. William Balfour. The Violet Lindsay Duchess Rutland 1856-1937 (59) wore gold charmeuse with gold tissue in her hat and a rose pink velvet cloak bordered with fur. The Victoria Marjorie Harriet Manners Marchioness Anglesey 1883-1946 (32), in white box-cloth, brought her little daughter, Alexandra Mary Paget 1913-1973 (2), in a little Ermine coat and hat. Mrs. Asquith, who was with Mrs. Graham Smith, wore a black charmeuse gown made with a ruched cape and trimmed with chinchilla; her hat was black with emerald feathers.
Annie Geraldine Redmayne 1864-1956 (52) wore black and white embroidered taffetas; Lady Robert Manners had a long muauve coat trimmed with skunk; and the Mary Constance Wyndham Countess Wemyss 1862-1937 (53) was in black and white. Lady Tree had a pervenche panne long coat made tight-fitting and a plain black sailor hat. The Countess of Droghleda wore black and gold, Lady D'Abernon grey chinchilla furs with a black coat and skirt, and Lady Arthur Paget a musquash coat bordered with skunk. Mrs. Guy Charteris brought her baby, and the Bridget Louisa Harbord 1870-1951 (45), in black and white, was accomapanied by her two daughters, and Mrs. McKenna by her two sons. Mrs. Hwfa Williams and Lady Randolph Churchill (who was with Mrs. Churchill) both were black velvet.
The Guests. Among those present were:
The Italian Ambassador, the Spanish Ambassador, the Margaret Alice "Molly" Bridgeman Duchess Buccleuch, Duchess Queensbury 1872-1954 (44), and Lady Margaret Scott, etc
A small reception was held after the ceremony at 34 Queen Anne's Gate, Marylebone in Queen Anne's gate, and the Violet Lindsay Duchess Rutland 1856-1937 (59) and John Henry Montagu Manners 9th Duke Rutland 1886-1940 (29) subsequently left for Belvoir Castle, Belvoir, where the honeymoon vill be spent.
On 14 Nov 1933 Walter Francis David Long 1911- and Frances Laura Charteris Duchess Marlborough 1915-1990 (18) were married at St Margaret's Church.
John Evelyn's Diary 1686 Oct. 24 Oct 1686. Dr. Warren preached before the Princess [NOTE. Not clear which Princess this is]; possibly at Whitehall, on Gospel of Matthew Chapter 5, of the blessedness of the pure in heart, most elegantly describing the bliss of the beatifical vision. In the afternoon, George Wheeler Traveller 1651-1724, knight and baronet, preached on the Gospel of Matthew Chapter 4: Jesus Tested in the Wilderness. upon the necessity of repentance, at St Margaret's Church, an honest and devout discourse, and pretty tolerably performed. This gentleman coming from his travels out of Greece, fell in love with the Grace Higgons of Thomas Higgons Resident Venice 1624-1691, his Majesty's resident at Venice, niece to the William Paulet 4th Marquess Winchester 1559-1629, and married her. When they returned into England, being honored with knighthood, he would needs turn preacher, and took orders. He published a learned and ingenious book of his travels, and is a very worthy person, a little formal and particular, but exceedingly devout.