Hover the mouse over the coloured text for more information, click to go to the Pages. Hover over paintings for larger versions. Click on the Arms to go to the Heraldry pages. Click on Home in the Menu above to go to today's On This Day in History page.

Times Newspaper Marriages

Times Newspaper Marriages. 25 Jan 1865. MARRIAGE IN HIGH LIFE. The marriage of the Earl of Coventry (26) and Lady Blanche Craven (22), third daughter of Earl Craven (55), was solemnized yesterday morning at St George's Church, Hanover Square, Parish of St George's Church, Mayfair. The bridegroom and the frieNds of both families assembled at the church at 11 o'clock, and shortly afterwards were joined by the bride (22), accompanied by her mother, the Countess Craven (48). The bride (22) was received by her father (26) at the church door, and, attended by eight bridesmaids, proceeded at once to the communion table, in front ot which a numerous company had assembled, including the Earl (65) and Countess of Clarendon (54) and Lady Emily Villiers (22), the Countess of Verulam (40) and Lady Harriet Grimston (20), Viscount and Viscountees Folkestone (43) and Hon. Miss Bouverie, the Countess of Sefton (27) and Lady Cecilia Molyneux, Viscount Chelsea (24), and Lady Caroline Townley (27) and Miss Townley, Viscount Uffington (23), Sir Henry and Latly Sophia Des Voeux, Hon. Mr. and Mrs Coventry, Hon. Gerald and Ladv Maria Ponsonby, Mr. Oswald andl Miss Oswald, Dr. Quin, Mr. Cecil Boothby, Mr. James Oswald, Miss Talbot, Viscount (32) and Viscountess Grey de Wilton (28), Lady Evelyn Bruce, Hon. Mrs. Grimston and Miss Griniston, &c.
The Hon. and Rev. Edward Grimston (52), uncle of the bride, performed the religious rite. After the registration of the marriage the wedding party left the church, and procceded to the Earl (55) and Countess Craven's (48) mansion in Charles Street, Berkeley Square, Mayfair. At 2 o'clock the newly-wedded couple took their departure for Croome Court, Crome D'Abitot, tbe Earl of Coventry's (26) seat, near Upton_Worcestershire, there to pass the honeymoon. At Crome Pirton and Severn Stoke, the marriage was celebrated yesterday by the tenantry and neighbours of the Earl of Coventry (26). The tenantry of the Croome Pirton and Severn Stoke estates, to ths number of about 100, dined together in two parties yesterday at Severn Stoke and High-green. At Pirton and Severn Stoke garlands of evergreens and flags were hung out over the roads, and at night a bonfire was lighted at High-green. The rejoicings have extended over all his Lordship's (26) large estates in the southern portion of Worcestershire. The inhabitants of Worcester celebrated the marriage by hoisting flags frem tile windows and streamers across the streets. The bells from the various churches rang merry peals all day.
George Coventry 9th Earl Coventry (26) and Blanche Craven Countess Coventry 1842-1930 (22) were married. Blanche Craven Countess Coventry 1842-1930 (22) by marriage Countess Coventry.

Around 1830. George Hayter 1792-1871 (37). Portrait of William Craven 2nd Earl Craven 1809-1866 (20).

Wedding of Prince Alfred and Grand Duchess Maria of Russia

Times Newspaper Marriages. 02 Feb 1874. THE MARRIAGE FESTIVITIES IN RUSSIA. ST. PETERSBURIG. Jan 31 Yesterday the Duke (29) and Duchess of Edinburgh (20), the Prince (32) and Princess of Wales (29), and Prince Arthur (23) were present with all the Imperial family at thc ball given by the Cesarewvitch. The Prince of Wales (32) wore the uniform of the Norfolk Militia and Prince Arthur (23) that of thc Rifle Brigade. This evening a grand dinner, to which 400 guests are invited, will be given by the British Ambassador to the Crown Prince and Princess of Germany and Prince Arthur. Later on in the evening all the English Princes will go to the ball givea at the Hall of the Nobles at 9:30..

On 23 Jan 1874 Unknown Artist. The Wedding of Prince Alfred Windsor 1844-1900 (29) and Maria Holstein-Gottorp-Romanov 1853-1920 (20).

Around 1871. Franz Xaver Winterhalter 1805-1873 (65). Portrait of Maria Holstein-Gottorp-Romanov 1853-1920 (17).

Around 1846. Franz Xaver Winterhalter 1805-1873 (40). Portrait of Albert Edward, Prince of Wales (4).

10 Mar 1863. William Powell Frith 1819-1909 (44). Marriage of the future King Edward VII and Alexandra. The artist has depicted the moment when the Prince (21) is about to place the ring on the Princess' (18) finger. The two little boys dressed in tartan are Prince Leopold (9) and Prince Arthur (12), Queen Victoria's youngest sons. At the top right of the painting the Queen (43) herself looks down on the ceremony.

1901. Luke Fildes Painter 1843-1927 (57). Coronation Portrait of Edward VII King United Kingdom 1841-1910 (59).

1911. Luke Fildes Painter 1843-1927 (67). Drawing of Edward VII King United Kingdom 1841-1910 on his deathbed.

1901. Luke Fildes Painter 1843-1927 (57). Coronation Portrait of Alexandra Glücksburg Queen Consort England 1844-1925 (56).

In 1908 John Singer-Sargent Painter 1856-1925 (51). Portrait of Prince Arthur Windsor 1st Duke Connaught and Strathearn 1850-1942 (57).

Times Newspaper Marriages. 01 Aug 1892. The marriage of Mr. Victor Cavendish (24), MP, eldest son of the late Lord Edward Cavendish, and nephew and heir presumptive of tho Duke of Devonshire (59), to Lady Evelyn Fitzmaurice (21), eldest daughter of the Marquis of Lansdowne (47), Viceroy of India, took place on Saturday afternoon in St Margaret's Church. The church was tastefully decorated with flowers. A large crowd assembled outside the church long before half-past 2, the hour fixed for the ceremony, but admittance could only be obtained by those favoured with invitations or tickets. Shortly before 2 o'clock, Mr. Victor Cavendish (24) entered by the east door, secompanied by his brother, Mr. Richard Cavendish (21), who dlscharged the duties of best man, and took up his position at the chancel steps. Meanwhile the bridesmaids, eight in number, assembled inside the entrance. They were Miss Blanche Egerton (21), eldest daughter of the Hon. Francis (67) and Lady Louisa Egerton (57), cousin of the bridegroom; Lady Francis Spencer Churchill (21) eldest daughter of the Marchioness of Blandford, Lady Maud Anson (23), daughter of the Earl of Lichfield, Lady Katherine Scott (17), daughter of the Duke of Buccleuch (60); Lady Gladys Hamilton (12), daughter of the Duke of Abercorn (53), Miss Muriel Herbert, second cousin of the bride; Lady Dorothy Osborne (3), daughter of the Marquis of Carmarthen (29); and Miss Margery Digby, daughter of Colonel and Lady Emily Digby, cousin of the bride.
They were attired alike in dresses of white satin veiled with lisse, the bodices being arranged with fichus having small frills at the edge, and tied in large bows in front, and wore Gainsborough hats trimmed with white feathers and pale pink roses. Each carried a shower bouquet of pink roses and wore a diamond snake brooch, the Cavendish crest, a present from the bridegroom. Master Harry Strettfeild, son of Colonel and Lady Florence Streatfeild (32), acted as psge, and wore a costume of white velvet, and a diamond scarf-pin, the bridegroom's gift.
The bride, who arrived punctually at half-past 2, was met at the entrance by the clergy and choir, and a procession being formed, advanced up the aisle, the choristers singing "The voice that breathed o'er Eden" to a setting by Barnby. The Bishop of London, uncle of the bride-groom, performed the nuptial rite, and was assisted in the service by the Rev. John Duncan, M.A., Vicar of CaIne, Wilts, and chaplain to the Marquis of Lansdowne, the Rev. C. Gore and the Rev. H. Rounsell. The music used throughout the service was by Barnby, and included " Jlesn, lover of my soul," from the Hymnary, and " For all the Saints who from their labours rest." The bride, who, in the absence of the Viceroy, was given away by her brother, the Earl of Kerry (47), wore a dress of rich white satin duchesse trimmed with beautiful Brussels point lace; the skirt being plainly made, and having a very narrow trimming round the hem. Her tulle veil fell from a wreath of orange flowers and her ornaments included a diamond necklace and a pearl necklace, the gift of her father, thee diamond stars, given by Lady Edward Cavendish, and a fine diamond bracelet, presented to her by the Viceregal Staff in India. At the conclusion of the ceremony the bridal party proceeded to the vestry and signed the registers, the attestors being the Marchioness of Lansdowne (42), the Duke of Devonshire (59), the Duke of Abercorn (53), Lady Edward Cavendish, and the Dowager Maarchioness of Lansdowne, during which the organist plaved the March from St. Polycarp.
As the bride, and bridegroom left the church Mendelssohn's Wedding March was played, acd the hells of St. Margaret's rang out a merry peal. The reception was held at ffampden-houlse, lent for the occasion by the Duke and Duchess of Abercorn. In the Lawrence Room was stationed Herr Wurms's White Vienna Band, and refreshments were served in the dining room, the long buffet being profusely decorated with choice white flowers admirably arranged in a number of large silver bowls. Among the company present were the Duke of Devonshire (59), the Duke (60) and Duchess (56) of Bucceuch, the Duke and Duchess of Abercorn, the Duchess Dowager of Abercorn, the Duchess of Leeds and the Ladies Godolphin Osborne, the Dowager Maarchioness of Lansdowne, Lady Edward Cavendish, Lady Frederick Cavendish, the Countess of Kerry, Lord Charles Fitzmaurice, Lord and Lady Edmond Fitzmaurice, the Marchioness of Salisbury and Lady Gwrendolen Cecil, the Marchioness of Blandford and the Ladies Spencer Churchill, the Marquis of Headtort, the Dowager Marchioness of Waterford, the Marchioness of Waterford, the Countess of Normanton and Lady Mary Agar, the Countess of Mayo and Lady Florence Bourke, the Earlof Ava. theEarl and Countess of Morley, and Lady Katherine Parker the Earl and Countess of Minto and the Ladies Elliot Countess Percy and the Ladies Percy, Earl Winterton Countess Spencer, the Earl and Countess of St Germans and Mliss Lascelles, the Earl of Camperdown, Viscount Cross, Viscountess Galway, Viscountess Hampden and the Hon. Miss Brand, Lord Robert Cecil, Lady Alexandra Hamilton, Lady Gladys Hamilton, Lord John Hamnilton, Lord Henry Fitzgerald, LadyHelen Feruson,Lady Li ian Yorkeand Miss Pelly, Lady Rovelstokc and the HIon. M£i5S Baring, Lady George Hamlton, Lady lantage, Lord Frederick Hamilton, the Ladies Egerton, Lord and Lady Alexander Russcll, Lady Constance Scott, Lady Harris, Lady Louisa Blagelis, Lady Beatrix Herbert and Miss Uuriel Herbert, Lady Mauriel Boyle, Lady Lyttelton, Lady Fanny Marjoribanks, Lady Olliffe and Mlliss Olliffe, Lady Abercromby, Lady Claud Hamilton, Lady William Osborne Elphinstone, the Hon. Lady Yoley, the Hon. Charles Gore, Mr. and Mrs. Childers, 1r. Chaplin, the Hon. bliss Roberts and Miss Pryde, Hon. Percy Wyndham and Miss Pamela KWyndham and the .on. MIary lVyndham, the Hon. Thomas Egerton, thec Hon. C. Anson, the Hon. Mrs. Assheton 6?urzon, the Hon. Lionel Holland, the Hon. Alexander Hood, Mlajor the Hon Montagu and M1rs. COrzon, the Hon. Mrs. Agar Ellis, Mr. and Lady Louise Loder, Lady Sybil Beauclerk, Sir James Ramsden, Sir George Baden-Powell Sir Thomas and Lady Brooks, Sir Andrew Scobie, Sir. Henry and Miss James, General Sir Hugh and Lady Gough, Sir Donald Wallace, Colonel and Lady Emily Digby, MIr. and Lady Helena Heneasge, Sir George and Lady Young, General Arthur Ellis, Ilrs. Grenfell, BMrs. Temple, Mr. Hercert, MIrs. Reginald Brett, Miss Chandos Pole, Mr. IV. H. Grenfell, Mrs. Arthur Barclay, Admiral and Mrs. F. Robinson, Mr. Leveson-Gower, Mr. G. Leveson-Gower, Mr. and Mrs. Albert Grey, Mr. Reginald Loder, Mr. Leeson, Colonel Ian and MN rs. Haamilton, Mr. James Cavendish, Mr. and.Mrs. Baillie Hamilton, Mr. and Mirs. P. Ponsonby, Mrs. Francis Gore, and many others. Later in the afternoon Mr. and Lady Evelyn Cavendish left for Bowood-park, Lord Lansdowne's seat in Wiltshire, for the honeymoon. Lady Evelyn Cavendish travelled in a dress of ptle blue radzimir, trimmed with white embroidered lisse, with lar-e revers of white moire antique, and wore a large black hat.
The Queen (73) presented the bride with an Indian shawl, and the bridegroom with a bronze statuette of herself, with the inscription, "Presented to Victor Cavendish by Victoria, R.I., 1892." The Empress Eugenie gave the bride a ruby and diamond watch bracelet, and Princess Christian presented the bridegroom with 12 volumes of Tennyson's poems, bound in white calf. The other presents to the bride included, from the bridegroom, a superb diamond tiara, an antique chatelaine watch set in diamonds, and a sapphire and diamond bracelet; from the Marchioness of Lansdowne, a diamond necklace and a pearl necklace; the Duke and Duchess of Buecleuch, a diamond and pearl necklace; the Duke of Devonshire, a three-stringed pearl necklace the Ducchess of 'Abercorm, pair of gold links with tucquoise in centre; the Duke of Abercorn, silver and tortoiseshell box; the Dowager Duchess of Abercorn, gold and enamel filagree tulip watch, gold bracelet with motto, and four silver-gilt shell dishes; the Duke of Westminster, a necklace of brilliantts, pink topazes, beryls, and white enamel olira leaves; the MIa-quis of Lansdowne's staff diamond heart bracelet; the Duke and Duchess of St. Albans, pair of amber heart-shaped links with diamond centres; the Duke and Duchess of Bedford, diamond and carbuncle horseshoe brooch: the Dowager M1archioness of Lansdowne, diamond and sapphire thistle brooch the Earl of Mlount Edgeumbe, diamond and sapphire bangle; the Earl of Durham, diamond and sapphire brooch, the Marquis de Lavalette, ring with large pearl in centre and iamonds; La Marquise de Lavalette, diamond flowver brooch; the Earl and Countess of Powis, silver ink-stand and candlesticks; the Earl of Kerry and Lord Charles Fitzmaur.ce, silver tea service in case; Earl and Countess Winterton, fluted silver bowl; Countess Russell, silver fan-shaped box; the Earl of Rosebery 2 pair of silver candlesticks; the MIarquis of Tullibardine, pair of tortoiseshell and silver opera-glasses the Countess of Lichfield, pair of carved rosewood book shelves; the Countess of Kerry, pair of silver candlesticks; the Marquis of Hamilton, two silver pepper-boxes in case; the Duke of Athole, silver and tortoiseshell inkstand and tray with letter clip; Countess Granville, fitted luncheon basket;fhe MIarquis of Bath, tortoiseshell and silver photo frame Earl and Countess Fitzwilliam, silver-gilt box; the Dowager Marchioness of Waterford, leather dressing-case with silver-gilt fittings; the Earl and Countess of Ilchester, painted lace fan; the Earl of Dalkeith. lace fanD; tnc Eiarl of Northbrook, act of enamelled trays; the Marchioness of Headfort, six fruit knives with malachite handles; the Earl of Ava, crystal seal with diamond-beaded snake entwined; Countess Spencer, pair of large Mintonvases; the MIarchioness ot Blandfora, a framed engraving; Louise, Duchess of Manchester, carriage-basket with clock, &c. the Countess of Minto, Louis XVI. clock; Earl and Coun tess of Wharneliffe, large copper jardiniere on iron stand; Earl and Countess Cowrper, Louis XV clock,; Lord Wolverton silver and copper card-case and memo-book; Lord and Lady Strathrnore. heart-shaped mirror in silver frame; Lord aBnd Lady P.oay, silver trinket tray on stand; Viscount Turnour, silver shell tray; Lady Claud AnSOn, silver tray; Lord and Lady Edmunud Fitzmaurice, pearl and diamond brooch; Viscountess Cranborne ann Lady Esther Gore, gold curb bracelet with crimson enamel heart; Lord and Lady Mount Stephen,. a Sable travelling rug; Lady Edward S*vs;di'eA4d tars viacoant Valetort, diamond bracelet: l; dy Robert Cecil and Lady Anne Lambton, pair of gold and malachite links; the Ladies Churchill, silver-mounted heart-shaped tortoise-shell tray; Lady Suffolk, diamond and pearl brooch; Lord Frederick Hamilton, enamel miniature locket set with pearls; Lord Henry Scott, silver tea-caddy the Earl of Caraperdown, silver box; Lord Alington, three-fold screen; Dowager Lady Ashburton and Mliss Digby, screen; Lord and Lady Roberts, Indian silver bowl; Lady Amnpthill, :gilt carriage clock; Lady Leconfield, rosewood specimen table; Lord and Lady Willoughby de Eresby, tortoiseshell and silver tea-caddy; Viscount and Viscountess Cross, hammered silver tray; Lady Abercromby, gold box with enamelled cross and pearl in centre; Lord Revelstoke Savres chin-: vase; Lady Revelstoke, gold-mounted torto.iseshell paper knife; Lord Rowton, silver-gilt vase; Lady Wantage, Louis XV. clock; Viscount and Viscountess Newport, pair of agate trays; Lord and Lady Ernest Hamilton,two Crorwn Derby ink-pots and tua7; Earl and Countes5 oEf Morley, pair of silver-gilt mounted claret jugs; Lady Beatrice Fitzmaurice, chased silver teapot; Lady Carrington, silver hot-milk jug-; archioness of Carmarthen, ostrich feather fan; Mrs. 3ontefiore, inlaid cabinet table vith marble top; Hon C Lambton, small silver dish; Mrs. Temple, sil-er bell; Mr Thomas Baring, gold necklace with onys Dendant set. in diamonds; 3r. John Baring, gold curb bracelet with moonstone heart surmonnted with rubies and diamonds; Hon. Miss Baring, diamond and enamel heart brooch; Mrs. Sackville West, gold ball hatpin set with diamonds . Mrs. Grace, silver inkstand and tray; Sir Tatton and Lady Sykes,massive silver-framed:mirror.; Sir Alerander Iackenzie, gold safety-pin brooch set with pearls and diamonds; Captain and Mrs. Cecil Cavendish, silver-mounted pin-cushion; Hon. Mrs Wyndharn, silver buckle Mrr and Lady Fanny hlarioribanks, piece of Indian plate; Mr. and hMrs. W. Grenfell, copper and brass standard lamp; General Brackenbury, large silver-mounted:scent bottle, Mr. and Lady Louise Loder, silver inkstand and tray; MIr. Cyril Flower, large Venetian glass bowl hlr. and Irs. Childers, Dresden china tdte-&-tetc tea service Lord Lansdowne's WViltshire tenants, diamond bracelet. The bridegroom's presents included --From the Duchess of Westminster, tortoiseshell blotting case inlaid with gold; the Marquis and Marchioness of Lansdowne, sl1ver salver; the Marquis of Blandford, silver-gilt card case; the Earl of Chesterfield, silver flask; Mr. R. Cavendish, Eervice of plate in walnut case; the Dowager Marchioness of Lansdowne, large diamond scarf-pin; the Dowrager Duchess of Abercorn, silver cofee pot; the Duke and Duchess of Leeds, gold and bloodstone seal,; the Marquis and Marchioness of Stafford, tortoiseshell and silver calendar frame Lady Frederick Cavendish, 24 volumes of George Eliot's works; the Countess of Bectivo, crystal and gold bos; the Marchioness of Salisbury, pair of tall silver salt cellars and spoons in case; Louise, Duchess of Manchester, silver milk jug; the Marquis of Granby, silver-mounted walking stick; Viscount 'Wolmer, silver-mounted hunting crop; Viscount and Viscountes6 Portman, half-a-dozen silver-gilt dessert spoons in a case; Earl of Arran, gold and nearl Albert chain; Lord and Lady Burton and Hon. ellie Bass, antique silver box; Lady Taunton, pair of silver candlesticks; Lord Ampthill, massive silver-mounted inkstand; Lord and Lady Henry Bentinek, silver hot milk jug; Sir Thomas asd Lady Brooke, pair of antique b-rass ornaments; Lord and Lady Herschell, silver-mounted blotter; Hon. W. and Mrs. Cavendish, silver-mounted hock jug; Sir H. and Lady Mleysey Thompson, silver-gilt match box and tray; Hon. A. Lyttelton, silver-mounted riding whip; Hon E. Cavendish, silver grenade cigar lighter; Lord Vernon, silver.tobacco box; Lord and Lady Chesham, gold and enamel pencil-case Lord and Lady Penrhyn, four silver salt cellars and spoons; Viscount and Viscountess Hampden, silver coffee-pot; the Earl and Countess of St. toermans, pair of vases; the Countess of Leicester, silver and tortoiseshell scimitar paper cutter; Sir George Baden Powell, silver-mounted ebony stick; Sir Henry James, set of pearl studs; Colonel J. C. Cavendish, silver inkstand; Viscount St. Cyres, silver-mounted walking-stick; Lord and Lady Belper, silver inkstand; Ron. J. Mansfield, silver match-box; Hon. F. Leveson-Gower, two engravings; Earl Spencer, silver sandwich box and flask in casel; Mr and Lady Harriet Cavendish, a silver-mounted driving whip.

1749. Canaletto Painter 1697-1768. Westminster Abbey with a procession of Knights of the Bath. St Margaret's Church adjacent with the flag.

1845 Francis Grant 1803-1878 (41). Portrait of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom 1819-1901 (25).

1833. George Hayter 1792-1871 (40). Portrait of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom 1819-1901 (13).

Around 28 Jun 1838. George Hayter 1792-1871 (45). Coronation Portrait of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom 1819-1901 (19).

10 Feb 1840. George Hayter 1792-1871 (47). Wedding of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert. Hayter included portraits of fifty-six of those present at the occasion and sittings took place over the next year. The Queen (20) sat for him in March in her 'Bridal dress, veil, wreath & all', and Prince Albert (20) also posed for his portrait several times during the following months. Hayter's family too helped out with his son, Henry, modelling the Prince's costume, while his daughter Mary posed for the Queen's arm and wearing the veil. Victoria's aunt Queen Adelaide (47), however, was unwilling to co-operate and the artist had to refer to a miniature for her likeness. Hayter included himself in the painting, on the lower right, with his sketchbook and pencil.

Around 1840. Franz Xaver Winterhalter 1805-1873 (34). Portrait of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom 1819-1901 (20). Note the Garter worn on the Arm as worn by Ladies of the Garter.

Around 1846. Franz Xaver Winterhalter 1805-1873 (40). Portrait of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom 1819-1901 (26) and Prince Albert Saxe-Coburg-Gotha 1819-1861 (26) and their children.

In 1840. Richard Rothwell Painter 1800-1868 (39). Portrait of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom 1819-1901 (20).

1880.Henry Tanworth Wells Painter 1828-1903 (51). Portrait of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom 1819-1901 (60) being informed she was Queen by Francis Nathaniel Conyngham 2nd Marquess Conyngham 1797-1876 and William Howley Archbishop Canterbury 1766-1848.Death of King William IV Succession of Queen Victoria

Times Newspaper Marriages. 21 Apr 1899. Marriage of Lord Crewe and Lady Peggy Primrose.
The marriage of Lady Margaret (Peggy) Primrose (18), younger daughter of the Earl of Rosebery (51), with the Earl of Crews (41), which took place at Westminster Abbey yesterday, was remarkable, not only as a brilliant spectacle, bat also on account of the extraordinary degree of public interest which the event evoked, and the testimony thus afforded to the popularity of the late Prime Minister. It was an ideal day for a wedding, the sun shining brilliantly. Parliament Square and the approaches to the Abbey early in the day presented a gay and animated spectacle. An hour or more before the time announced for the opening of the Abbey doors, and a couple of hours before the bridal party were expected, people began to collect in the Abbey precincts, and in a short time great crowds were stretching right away to the railings of the Houses of Parliament. As time wore on and the vast concourse grew into extraordinary dimensions the police on duty had the utmost difficulty in regulating the living mass. Taffic became congested, and the constables in some cases were swept off their feet by the surging and panting multitude, but everywhere the best of good humour seemed to prevail in the streets.
Meanwhile the interior of the Abbey was also the centre of much life and movement. The wedding was fixed for 1:30, aud the doors, at each of which a long queue of ticket-holders and others had long been patiently waiting, were opened three-quarters of an hour earlier. Immediately the throngs, in which the bright costumes of the ladies were conspicuous, wwept into the Abbey. None-ticket holders were admitted by the north door only. This entrance was literally besieged, and a quarter of an hour after it was opened it had to be closed, for in that brief space the northern transept-the porLion of the Abbey allotted to the general public-had become so densely packed that it would not hold another spectator. Those privileged visitors who held permits either for tue nave or the south transept seemed none the less eager to secure advantageous places, for every one came early. Many of the ladies stood upon the seats in their eagerness to obtain a good view. As the guests arrived Sir Frederick Bridge played an appropriate selection of music upon the grand organ.
The rare spectacle of floral decorations in the Abbey attracted general attention. At each end of the alter rails there was a towering palm with a collection of Lilium Harrisii and marguerites grouped at the base, while blooms of Liliam Harrisii also adorned the altar itself. Specimen palms with foliage and flowering plants were placed against the organ screen facing the western entrance, by which the bridal party were shortly to enter.
The arrival of the specially invited guests also proved a source of much interest. These privileged persons, numbering some 500 or 600, friends of the contracting parties and including men distinguished in politics, diplomacy, literature, and art, were escorted to seats in the choir and under the lantern. The Earl of Crewe (41), with his best man, the Earl of Chesterfield (45), arrived about ten minutes past 1. Each of them wore a marguerite in his buttonhole. They joined the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire under the lantern. The Prince of Wales (4) arrived about 25 minutes past 1. His Royal Highness, attended by the Hon. Seymour Fortescue (43), was received by Lord Rosebery's sons, Lord Dalmeny (17) and the Hon. Neil Primrose (16), by whom he was conducted to the Jerusalem Chamber. The Duke of Cambridge (80), who quickly followed, attended by Colonel FitzgGeorge, was met at the same door by the Hon. Neil Primrose, under whose escort he joined the Prince of Wales, after which their Royal Highnesses went to the choir and took the seats which had been specially reserved for then.
Among the others present were: The Duchess of Buckingham and Chandos, the Marquis and Marchioness of Breadalbane, the Duke and Duchess of Buccleuch. Mr. Balfour M.P., the Duke (52) and Duchess (46) of Somerset, the Marquis of Lansdowne (54), Mr. Asquith, M.P., and Mrs. Asquith, the Austrian Ambassador, the Earl and Countess of Harewood, the Duchess of Cleveland. the Earl of Kirnberley and Lady Constance Wodehouse, Lady Jeune and Miles Stanley, the Marquis of Dufferin, Sir R. Campbell-Bannerman, M.P., and Lady Campbell-Bauneiman, Mr. Bryce, M.P., and Mrs. Biyce, Mr. J. B Balfour, H.P., and Mrs. Balfour, Mir. H Gladstone, the Earl aud Countess of Corck, the Lord Chief Justice (Lord Russell of Killoren) and the Hon. Mliss Russell, Sir H. Fowler, f.P., and Lady Fowler, Earl and Courntess Dc Grey, Mr. Munro-Fergrsca, M.P., and Lady Helen Munro-Ferguison, Sir Henry Irving, ir. Morley, M.P., S,r John and lady Puleston, the Marquig and Marehioness of Ripon, Lord and Lady Recay, Lord and Lady Rothschild, and all the Londoa representatives of the Rothschild family, Sir Charles aild Lady Tennant, Lord Wandsworth. Lord and Lady Wenlock, Lord Leconfdeld, the Earl of Verulamn, Mr. aud Mrs. George Alexander idiss Mundella, Sir E. Sassoon, H.P., General and Mrs. Wauchope, Sir E. Lawson, Mr. Harmswortl, Sir Lewis Morris. Lord James of Hereford and Miss James the Hon. P. Stanhope, H.P., and Countess Tolstoy, the Earl and Countess of Aberdeen, Mr. Shaw Lefevre, Sir Charles Dalry,uiple MP. Mr. Sydney Buxton, M.P. ,hr. George Russell, Tr. G. E. Buckle, Georgina, Countess A! Dudley, Sir Humphrey and Lady De Trafford, Sir Edgar and Lady Helen Vincent, Sir John Lubbock, hLP., and Lady Lubbock, Lord Hamilton of Dalzell' Sir Henry Primrose, Lord and Lady St. Oswald, Eara and Countess Stanbope, Mr. Rochfort Maguire. M.P., and Mrs. Maguire, Lady Emily Peel, Loid E. Pitzmaurice. HI.P., Earl and Countess Carrington, Lord and Lady Bnrgheiere, Loud and Lady Battersea, Lord and Lady Henry Bentnek, Lord and Lady Poltimure, the Earl of Essex, and Viscount Curzon, .p., and Viscountess Ctu-zon.
By the time that the whole of the company bad assembled the transepts and choir were densely packed. The attendants had the greatest difficulty in keeping many of the spectators within the specified bounds, and owing to the crushing and crowding several ladies fainted. At half-past 1 Lord Rosebery arrived with the bride at the western entrance, having had a very heartv reception as they passed through the streets. This cordial greeting was repeated again and again as Lord wRosebery handed his daughter out of the carriage. She appeared relf-possessed and smiled upon those around her. Lady Peggy Primirose was attired in a dress of white satin of the new shape, with a very long train (not separate from the dress as in the old style). It was profusely embroidered with clusters of diamonds designed as primroses. The front of the skirt opened over a petticoat of exquisite point d'Alengon laco, which was formerly tn the possession of Marie Antoinette, and was a present from the bride's aunt, Miss Lucy Cohen. The bodice was embroidered and trimmed with similar lace aud its sleeves were of transparent mausselijt I soic. The veil was of tulle, and in nlace of the nsual coronet of orange blossom the bride wore a smart Louis XVI bow of real orange flowers. Jewelry was scarcely at all employed. Lady Peggy carried a magnificent bouquet composed mainly of orchids, white roses, lilies, and marguerites.
The bride (18) was received at the door of the Abbey by her ten bridesmaids. They were Lady Sybil Primrose (20), elder sister of the bride; the Ladies Annabel (18), Celia (15), and Cynthia (14) (Crewe-Milnes, daughters of the bridegroom; the Hon. Maud and the Hon. Margaret Wyndham, daughters of Lord Leaconfield; the Hon. Evelina Rothschild, daughter of Lord Rothschild; Miss Louise Wirsch; Lady Juliet Lowther (18), daughter of the late Earl of Lonsdale and Countess de Grey; and Miss Muriel White, daughter of Mr. Blenry White, of the United States Embassy. They were all dressed alike, in white embroidered moseline de rois over white silk. The skirts were made with shaped flounces with cream lace insertion, and upon the bodices were fichns edged with lace. The sashes were of primrose chiffon, and the hats of primrose tulle with white ostrich feathers, one side being turned up with Baroness de Rothschild roses. The bouquets were of the same roses, tied with long tLreamers of the primrose chiffon. Each of the bridesmaids wore a gold curb bracelet with the initials of the bride and bridegroom in enamel, the gifts of the bridegroom.
The formation of the bridal proession was a very picturesque feature of the ceremonial. Schubert's " Grand March " was played, and the ,vast congregation rose to their feet as the choir advanced, followed along the nave by the clergy, after whom caine the bride leaning upon the arm of her father, who wore a bunch of primroses in his coat, and attended by her bridesmaids. All eyes were naturally turned to the bride, but she did not lose her composare during the long and trying walk up the nave to the choir.
As the procession approached the choir, Lord Crewe who with his best man had been standing a few yards from the Prince of Wales advanced to meet the bride, and the party ha1ted at a point between the choir and the lantern, where the first part of the wedding service was taken, in full view of the choir stalls, where the principal guests were seated. The hymn " O perfect Love" having been sung, the marriage service began. The officiating clergy were the Rev. Dr. Butler (Master of Tririty), the Dean of Westminster, Canon Blackburne, vicar of Crewe-green, Crewe, Canon Armitage Robinson, and the Precentor of Westminster. Dr. Butler, who took the principal part of the service, read the words in a very impressive manner. The bride made the responses in a perfectly audible voice. Upon the conclusion of the first part of the ceremony the procession of the clergy and the bride and bridegroom, followed by the bridesmaids, moved towards the east. They passed, while the psalm was sung to a chant by Beethoven, through the sacrarrum to the altar, where the concluding portion of the service was said by the Dean and other clergy. Next came the hymn " Now thank we all otr God," after which the blessing was pronounced and the service was brought to a close, to the actompaniment of a merry peal from the bells of St. Margaret's Church. As the procession moved down the Abbey to the Jerusalem Chamber to sign the register Mendelssohn's " Wedding March " was played, and the great majority of the congreation prepared to take their departure. 'ihs Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge were among those who accompanied the bridal party and their relatives to the Jerusalem Chamber and appended their names to the register. Lord and Lady Crewe, with their friends, left the Abbey amid a renewal of those enthusiastic demonstrations which had marked Lady Peggy Primrose's arrival as a bride. A reception and luncheon was given at Lord Rosebery's town house attended by the Prince of Wales; the Duke of Cambridge, and about 600 other guests, most of whom had attended the ceremony in theAbbey. Later in the day the Earl and Countess of Crewe left town for Welbeek Abbey,'placed at their disposal by the Duke and Duchess of Portland for the early part of the honeymoon. The bride wore a travelling dress of green cloth, the skirt being stitched with gold, the bodice and sleeves being embroidered in natural colour silk and gold with primroses She vwore a large wzhite hat w,ith feathers to match. THE WEDDING PRES IU& After the departure of the bride and bride-groom the numerous wedding presents displayed at Lord Rosebery's house were inspected with much interest by those of the guests who had not previously seen them.
Soon after 7 o'clock last evening the train conveying Lord and Lady Crewe arrived at Worksop Station. The platform was thronged with people, who gave a most cordial, though quiet, reception to the newly-married pair. On their arrival at Welbeck Abbey the visitors were received with every honour, and a bouquet was presented to Lady Crewe. The employes on the estate of Dalmeny dined together last night in celebration of the marriage of Lady Peggy Primrose. Mr. Drysdale, the chamberlain, presided over a company of about 300. After dinner there was a dance, and a display of fireworks was given in the grounds. The burgh of Queensferry, which adjoins Lord Rosebery's Dalmeny estate, was decorated yesterday in honour of the wedding. A banquet was held in the council chambers, at which the health of the bride and bridegroom was honoured, and a congratulatory telegram forwarded to Lady Crewe.

Around 1747. Canaletto Painter 1697-1768. View across the River Thames to Westminster Abbey and Westminster Hall.

Around 1750. Canaletto Painter 1697-1768. Westminster from near the Terrace of Somerset House, Strand In the distance the Banqueting House, Whitehall Palace, Westminster Abbey and Westminster Bridge.

Around 1801. Benjamin West Painter 1738-1820 (62). Milkmaids in St James' Park, St James' with Westminster Abbey Beyond.

Times Newspaper Marriages. 22 Jun 1910. LORD ACHESON (33) AND MISS CARTER (22).
The marriage of Viscount Acheson (33), elder son of the Earl (68) and Countess of Gosford (54), and Miss Mildred Carter (22), only daughter of Mr. J. Ridgely Carter (46), American Minister to Rumania, and Mrs. Ridgely Carter (45), took place yesterday at St George's Church, Hanover Square, Parish of St George's Church, Mayfair. The Sub-Dean of the Chapels Royal (the .Rev. Edgar Sheppard, D.D.) performed the ceremony, assisted by the Rev. David Anderson and other clergy, and Mr. Ridgely Carter (46) gave his daughter away. She wore a very simple wedding gown of soft white satin with a long train draped with old point de Venise, and a Venetian lace cap over a spray of myrtle and orange blossom, covered by a plain tulle veil. Master David Stanley, Master Julian Ward, and Miss Diana Roberts, dressed all in white, followed the bride, and there were seven bridesmaids, Lady Theo Acheson (28) (sister of the bridegroom), Lady Victoria Stanley, Mlle. Irene deo La Grange, Miss Canilla Morgan, the Hon. Rhoda Astley, Miss Elsie Nicholl, and Miss Marian Scranton, who wore white chiffon dresses with draped bodices and wreaths of myrtle beneath tulle veils. They also wore diamond neckislides and carried loose bunches of red roses. The Hon. Patrick Acheson (26) was best man to his brother.
Mrs. Ridgely Carter (45) afterwards held a large reception at Dorchester House, Park Lane, Mayfair (lent by the American Ambassador and Mrs. Whitelaw Reid), and among the many who came on from the church were the French, Russian, German, Spanish, and Italian Ambassadors, the Danish Minister, tho Rumanian Minister, the Swedish Minister and Countess Wrangel, Mme. Dominguez, the Servian Charge d'Affaires and Mme. Grouitel, the Chilian Minister and Mme. Gana, the Belgian Minister and Countess de Lalaing, the Duke (63) and Duchess of Somerset (57), Katharine Duchess of Westminster (53) and Lady Helen Grosvenor (22), Prince and Princess Alexis Dolgorouki, the Marquis and Marchioness of Hamilton, the Marchioness of Tweeddale, the Marquis (48) and Marchioness of Salisbury (42), the Marchioness of Anglesey (26), the Countess of Powis (45), the Earl (56) and Countess of Chesterfield, the Countess of Kintore and Lady Hilda Keith-Falconer, the Earl (68) and Countess of Gosford (54), Prince and Princess Frederick Liechtenstein, the Countess of Kimberley, Countess Grey, the Marquis d'Hautpoul, the Countess of Leicester (54) and Lady Bridget Coke (19), the Earl (41) and Countess of Craven (38), the Earl of Desart, Countess Fritz Hochberg, the Earl and Countess of Meath, the Countess of Bilmorey, the Countess of Londesborough (49) and Lady Irene Denison (19), the Earl and Countess of Derby (70), the Earl (51) and Countess of Yarborough (51), Ellen Lady Inchiquin and the Hon Lilah O'Brien, Lord and Lady Charles Beresford, Lord and Lady Leith of Fyvie, Lady Saltoun, Lady Nunburnholme (30), Lady Newborough, Sir John and Lady Lister-Raye, Lord and Lady Monson, Lord and Lady Savile, Lady Rothschild, Viscount and Viscountess AIdleton, Lady Alexander Paget, Lady Harcourt, Lady Desborough, Lord Suffield, Sir Herbert and Lady Jekyll and Miss Jekyll, the Hon. Sir Francis and Lady Villiers and Miss Viliers, Lady Heien Vincent, Lord Knaresborough and the Hon. Helen Meysey-Thompson, Lady Pauncefote, Lord and Lady Weardale, Lady Grace Baring, Lord Strathcona, Lady Margaret Graham and Miss Graham, Sir Francis and Lady Channing, Mary Lady Gerard, Lady Manners and the Hon. Misses Manners, Lady Edward Cavendish, Mme. Langenbach, Lord Revelstoke, the Countess of Bessborough (84) and Ladv Gweneth Ponsonby (22), Lord Aberdare and the Hon. Eva Bruce, the Hon. Harry and Mrs. Lawson, Mr. and Mrs. Bradley Martin, Mrs. F. Vanderbilt, Mrs. Arthur James, Mrs. Walter Burns, Mrs. Lewis Harcourt, Mrs. Lowther and Miss Lokther, Mine. Vagliano, Captain and Mrs. Clonman, Miss Ralli, Mr. William Giuett, Mrs: Hwfa Williams, the Hon. Mrs. Derek Keppel, Mr. Willlam Phillips, Mrs. Frank D'Arcy, the Hon. Lady Murray, Mr. and Mrs. Meyer Sassoon, Sir Bartle Frere, Mme. de Bille, Mrs. Featherston- haugh, Mrs. Cotton Jodrell, Mrs. Frank Mackay, the Hon. Urs. Charles Lawrence, the Hon. Mrs. Rochfort Maguire, Lady Barrymore, Mrs. Chauncey, and Mrs. Ronalds.
Lord (33) and Lady Acheson (22) left later in the afternoon for the Continent, the bride (22) travelling in a dress of grey chiffon and a large hat swathed in tulle to match the dress.
A list of the principal wedding presents was published in The Times yesterday.

In 1902 John Singer-Sargent Painter 1856-1925 (45). Known as the Acheson Sisters: Portrait of Alexandra Louise Elizabeth Acheson 1878–1958 (24), Mary Acheson 1881– and Theodosia Louisa Augusta Acheson 1882–1977 (20).

1925. Glyn Philpot Painter 1884-1937 (40). Portrait of Irene Denison Marchioness Carisbrooke 1890-1956 (34).

Times Newspaper Marriages. 02 Feb 1911. The Hon. Hugo Charteris, eldest son of Lord (53) and Lady Elcho (48) and grandson of the Earl of Wenyss (92), was married yesterday at St Margaret's Church, to Lady Violet Manners (23), second daughter of the Duke (58) and Duchess of Rutland (54). The wedding excited much interest, and by the time the bride arrived at the church there was a crowd which extended halfway across Parliament-square. The service was held at 2.15, and by 2 o'clock there was not a vacant seat in the church. The choir stalls and the chancel entrance wetre decorated with flowers, mainly arum lilies. While the guests were assembling the " March " from Trmihauser was played and a guard of honour, supplied by O 'quadron 'of the Gloucestershire Yeomanry, in which the bridegroom holds a commission, lined the. asle.
The bridesmaids, the Ladies Marjorie (27) and Diana (19),Manners (the bride's sisters), the Hon. Mary (16) and the Hon. Irene (9) Charteris (sisters of the bridegrom), the Hon. Irene Lawley, Miss Nancy, Lindsay, Miss Elizabeth Manners, and M1iss Felicity Tree awaited the bride by the west door. They were wearing frocks designed from a picture by Botticelli. The gowns of the elder bridesmaids were of champagne; coloured crepe-de-chine with a pink foundation. An embroidery of green leaves showed at the neok and waist. Small roses and daisies were embroidered over the whole frock, and touches ot red velvet appeared beneath the hem and at the elbow. They wore net caps trimmed with red rosebuds. The two younger bridesmaids, who walked immediately behind the bride, wore frocks of pink chiffon, and wreaths of red roses in their hair. The Duke of Rutland (58) accompanied his daughter (23) to the church. The Hon. Guy Charteris (25) was best man.
The bride's dress was of white charmeuse with a tunic of old English lace, held in at the waist by a band of gold tissue. The train was of gold brocade mounted on white velvet, at the hem of which were worked in gold the heraldic designs of the Rutland and Wemyss families. The Bishop of Derby officiated, assisted by Canon McCormick and the Rev. F. W. Knox (private chaplain to the Duke of Rutland). A wedding march composed for the occasion by Mr. Raymond Roze was played as the bride and bride-groom left the chut&b.
THE GUESTS
The Duchess of Wellington (62), wearing a dress of old rose velvet with furs and a hat with rose-coloured plumes, brought her daughter, Lady Eileen Wellesley (23), who was dressed in sapphire blue velvet, The Duchess of Rutland (54) wore a tunic of grey moire velours over grey chiffon velvet, caught at the shoulders by diamond ornaments, with long tasselled ende falling, in front of the skirt. Her hat was trimmed with flamingo plumes wirith touches of eau-de-nil. The Marchioness of Anglesey wore black satin, witb a hat crowned with many small white plumes. Theh Mfarchioness of Tweeddale wvore a coat and skirt of black braided velvet and a large hat adorned with a royal blue feather. The Prime Minister was present vwith his sister-in-law, Mrs. Oraham Smith. who wore a long black brocaded wrap over a dress of dark material. The Hon. Alfred Lyttelton was accompanied by Mxl. Lyttelton, who was dressed in black satin with touches of bright blue. The French, Germian, and Spanish Ambassadors were also present. Lady Tree wore a dress of Ermine fur, with a hat of green felt trimmed with everlasting flowers; and Lady Lytton wore an embroidered cloak over a dress of grey material, and a small toque with green feathers. Lady Beatrico Rawson, who was wearing pale mauve, brought her daughter, Miss Violet Rawson, who was dressed in navy blue. The Earl and Countess of Wemyss arrived a few minutes before the bride, the latter dressed in soft grey ehil!on voile with marten furs, and wearing a toque trimmed with smalU grey feathers, Lady Beat-rice Hlerbert, who cameo with Viscountess Ingestre, was dressed in black velvet, with a crimson cloak and a collar of old point lace.

Times Newspaper Marriages. 27 Jan 1916. MARRIAGE OF LORD GRANBY
The marriage of the Marquess of Granby (29), only son of the Duke (63) and Duchess of Rutland (59), to Miss Kathleen Tennant (21), youngest daughter of Mr. (55) and Mrs. (52) Frank Tennant, of Innes House, took place yesterday at St Margaret's Church. There was a very large attendance, and a number of those present brought young children vith them.
The bride (21), who was given away by her father (55), wore a Venetian gown of white satin with a gold, brocade train four yards long and a short mantlet of old Venetian family lace; the sleeves were long and close-fitting, and she had a long white net veil with a wreath of orange blossoms. She carried a copy of the marriage service embroidered in seed pearl and coloured silks, worked by her mother after an old design in the British Museum.
Lady Diane Manners (24), who was one of the bridesmaids, designed the bridesmaids' gowns in the medieval manner; they were of white chiffon belted in silver worn with flowing veils of blue tulle held bv silver bands. Each of the bridesmaids carried a tail branch of almond blossom; the others were Miss Elizabeth Asquith, Miss Mary Lyttelton, and Miss Violet Warrenrder. The Hon. Stephen Tennant (9), wlho wore a Romeo suit with a jewelleed belt, was the page. Captain Charles-Lindsay, Grenadier Guards, was best man. Canon Sheppard (35), Sub-Dean of the Chapels Royal, and the Rev. F. W. Knox, the Duke of Rutland's (63) chaplain, performed the ceremony.
SOME OF THE GOWNS. The Duke of Rutland (63) was among the first to come to the church, and most of the guests were there early. Thre Prime Minister arrived with Mr. and Mrs. Bonhlam-Carter, anld Mr. Balfour with a party which included Mr. and Mrs. William Balfour. The Duchess on Rutland (59) wore gold charmeuse with gold tissue in her hat and a rose pink velvet cloak bordered with fur. The Marchioness of Anglesey (32), in white box-cloth, brought her little daughter, Lady Carolinie Paget (2), in a little Ermine coat and hat. Mrs. Asquith, who was with Mrs. Graham Smith, wore a black charmeuse gown made with a ruched cape and trimmed with chinchilla; her hat was black with emerald feathers.
Mrs. Tennant (52) wore black and white embroidered taffetas; Lady Robert Manners had a long muauve coat trimmed with skunk; and the Countess of Wemyss (53) was in black and white. Lady Tree had a pervenche panne long coat made tight-fitting and a plain black sailor hat. The Countess of Droghleda wore black and gold, Lady D'Abernon grey chinchilla furs with a black coat and skirt, and Lady Arthur Paget a musquash coat bordered with skunk. Mrs. Guy Charteris brought her baby, and the Hon. Mrs. George Keppel (45), in black and white, was accomapanied by her two daughters, and Mrs. McKenna by her two sons. Mrs. Hwfa Williams and Lady Randolph Churchill (who was with Mrs. Churchill) both were black velvet.
The Guests. Among those present were:
The Italian Ambassador, the Spanish Ambassador, the Duchess of Buccleuch (44), and Lady Margaret Scott, etc
A small reception was held after the ceremony at 34 Queen Anne's Gate, Marylebone in Queen Anne's gate, and the bride (59) and bridegroom (29) subsequently left for Belvoir Castle, Belvoir, where the honeymoon vill be spent.

Times Newspaper Marriages. 21 Feb 1930. THE DUKE OF WESTMINSTER AND MISS PONSONBY. The marriage of the Duke of Westminster (50) and Miss Loelia Mary Ponsonby (28), daughter of Sir Frederick (62) and Lady Ponsonby, of Great Tangley Manor, Guildford, and St James's Palace, took place at Prince's-row Register Office yesterday. Among those present were Mr. Winston Churchill (55), Lady Serena James (28), Mrs Walter Rubens, Colonel (65) and Mrs. Guy Wyndham, Captain and Mrs. Cowes, Mrs. Basil Kerr, 2ir. and Mrs. George Drunmaond, and AMr. and Mrs. Richard Guinness. The Duke and Duchess left for their honey- uoon in the Duke's steam yacht the Cutty i Sark, wlhich was moored at Deptford.

Before 31 Aug 1945. William Acton Painter 1906-1945. Portrait of Loelia Mary Ponsonby Duchess Westminster 1902-1993.

Before 31 Aug 1945. William Acton Painter 1906-1945. Portrait of Loelia Mary Ponsonby Duchess Westminster 1902-1993.

In 1746 John Rocque Mapmaker 1704-1762 (42). Map of London Part 2B.

1

2

3

4

Times Newspaper Marriages. 28 Jan 1937. THE DUKE OF NORFOLK AND MISS STRUTT
Princess Alice Countess of Athlone (53) and Major-General the Earl of Athlone (63), and Prince Arthur of Connaught (54) were present yesterday afternoon at the marriage at Brompton Oratory, Knightsbridge of the Duke of Norfolk, Premier Peer and Hereditary Earl Marshal of England (28), and the Hon. Lavinia Mary Strutt (20), only daughter of Lord Belper (53) and the Countess of Rosebery (44).
Princess Alice (53) wore a mink coat over a dress of burgundy-red crepe, with a small red hat to match.
The Brompton Oratory, Knightsbridge was decorated with four large stands of flowers, placed at the chancel steps. They were in mixed shades of red and included amaryllis lilies, poinsettia, anthuriums, roses, carnations, and red leaves. While the guests were arriving the organist played Mendelssohn's Allegretto Fourth Sonata, Elgar's Allegro Maestoso from the First Sonata, and the prelude and fugue in E flat, and the organ choral "Mortify us by Thy Goodness" by J. S. Bach.
The bride (20) arrived with her father, Lord Belper (53), and was loudly cheered by the crowd outside the Brompton Oratory, Knightsbridge, who broke through the police cordon. She walked up the nave to Handel's March from the Occasional Oratorio, and was met by Father Talbot and Father John Cuddon. Miss Strutt (20) wore a classically simple dress of silver lame, cut on straight sheath lines with long tight sleeves and a high round roll collar. The skirt just touched the ground and was continued at the back to form a long square train. She wore a girdle of silver cord knotted in front. Her long veil of white tulle fell from a simple coronet of orange-blossom and green leaves, and she carried a sheaf of arum lilies. She was followed by six little pages-Robin Herbert, Timothy Hunloke, Bob McCreery, John Scrope, George Vivian-Smith, and Michael Watt; and by six bridesmaids-Lady Katharine (25) and Lady Winefride Howard (23) (sisters of the bridegroom), Lady Anne Bridgeman (23), the Hon. Pamela Digby (16), Miss Gillian Drummond, and Miss Nancy Malcolmnson. The bridegroom's (28) racing colours, pale blue and scarlet, were introduced into the dresses and suits of the attendants. The pages were in pale blue satin suits piped with scarlet, and the bridesmaids wore dresses of sky-blue corded crepe, with touches of scarlet at the waistline. They had high rounded necklines with long bell sleeves and their headdresses of red bavardia were massed in front. They carried bouquets of red flowers, including tulips, amaryllis lilies, carnations, and euphorbia. The bridegroom gave them brooches showing his and his bride's initials in rubies and diamonds. The Earl of Eldon (37) was best man.
The marriage service was very short and non-choral, as the bride (20) is not a Roman Catholic. After they had plighted their troth Father Ronald Knox gave an address from the centre of the transept. The bride (20) and bridegroom (28) remained kneeling at the chancel steps, facing the altar. They then went in procession to the vestry, where the registrar, Mr. J. P. Bond, conducted the civil ceremony.
Afterwards the bride (20) and bridegroom (28) left for 38 Berkeley Square, Berkeley Square, Mayfair (the residence of the Earl of Rosebery (55)), where the Countess of Rosebery (44) held a reception. The bride (20) went away for the honeymoon in a dress of black and red shot silk taffeta, under a broadtail coat with a fur cap to match.
Among those present at the Oratory were:
The Earl (55) and Countess of Rosebery (44).
The Duchess of Norfolk (60),
Lady Rachel Howard (32).
Lady Belper,
the Hon. Alexander (24) and the Hon. Michael Strutt (23), the Hon. Mrs. Parry-Evans. Mr. and the Hon. Mrs. Vernon Malcolmsonson, Lord and Lady Aberdare, the Hon. Margaret Strutt, the Hon. Mrs. Frank Hormsby, etc.

Times Newspaper Marriages. 05 Jan 1938. MR. J. NEVILL (23) AND MISS HARRISON (22)
The Duke (37) and Duchess of Gloucester (36) have sent a silver condiments set to Mr. John Nevill (23), Life Guards, elder son of Major (54) and Mrs. Guy Larnach-Nevill, of Uckfield House, Uckfield, and Miss Patricia Harrison (22), daughter of Major and the Hon. Mrs. J. F. Harrison, of Kings Walden Bury, Hitchin, whose marriage took place yesterday at St Paul's Church, Knightsbridge. The Rev. G. S. Shackleford officiated, assisted by the Rev. E. C. Dunford. The bride (22), who was given away by her father, wore a gown of ivory-tinted panne velvet, embossed with sprays of silver flowers. The bodice was fashioned with a square neckline and long sleeves, slightly full at the shoulder, and the square train was lined with silver tissue. A headdress of silver-tipped doves' wings surmounted her long tulle veil, and she carried a spray of mixed white flowers. A retinue of six little girls and four pages folowed the bride. They were Penelope Harrison (sister of the bride), the Hon. Clare Beckett, Marye Pepys (niece of the bridegroom), Margaret Rosselli, Caroline Bury, Joanna Spencer, Hugh Lawson (cousin of the bride), David Myddelton (cousin of the bridegroom), Thomas Pilkington (nephew of the bride), and Charles Smith-Bingham. The pages wore replicas of the uniform of the Life Guards of the early nineteenth century, and the little girls wore long frocks of silver lame, the high-waisted bodices cut with short, puff sleeves, and square necks. They wore caps of silver lame, trimmed with white fur, and carried white fur muffs. Lord Roderic Pratt (22), Life Guards, was best man, and there was a guard of honour from the same regiment. The Hon. Mrs. J. F. Harrison afterwards held a reception at 28 Grosvenor Square, Belgravia, W1. The honeymoon wil be spent in Switzerland.

Times Newspaper Marriages. 17 Jan 1918. THE EARL OF CARLISLE (23) AND MISS RUTHVEN
The Marriage of Lieutenant the Earl of Carlisle (23) and Miss Bridget Helen Ruthven eldest daughter of the Master of Ruthven (47) and the Hon. Mrs. Ruthven took place yesterday at St Paul's Church, Knightsbridge. The ceremony was performed by the Bishop of Oxford (Dr. Charles Gore) (64), cousin of the bride. assisted bv the Rev. Canon Sheppard, D.D. Sub-Dean of the Chapel Royal (37).
The bride, who was given away by her father (47) wore a gown of cloth of silver, covered with Old Brussels lace. and lace sleeves, and as tulle veil vith wreath of real orange blossom. and carried a bouquet of myrtle. She was attended by three little pages and one bridesmaid. The pages were Master Patrick Hore-Ruthven, son of Lieutenant-Colonel the Hon. Alexander and Mrs. Hore-Ruthvcn, couson of the bride Master Michael Henley son or the Hon. Francis and Lady Dorothy Henley; and Master Anthony Toynbee son of Mr. and Mrs. Arnold Toynbee, cousins of the bridegroom. They wore Kate Greenaway costumes of pale pink satin, with lawn collars and cuffs. The bridesmaid, Miss Jean Ruthven, sister of the bride, also wore pale pink satin, with a ruby-coloured velvet waistband embroidered in silver, a pale pink veil, with wreath of green leaves. She carried a small bouquet of myrtle. Lioutetant Henry Bovell, R.N.. was best man.
Among those present were:-
The Hon. Mrs. Ruthven and the Misses Ruthven, Mrs. Jampson grandmother of the bride. Lord Ruthven, the Hon. Mrs. Alexander Hore-Ruthin. the Hon. Geoffrey Howard. M.P.. ProFessor Gilbert Murray and Lady Mary Murray. Lady Cecelia Roberts. Lady Dorothy Hanley, Mr. and Mrs. Arnold Toynbee. the Duchess of Buccleuch and lady Sybil Scott, Winifred Countess of Arran, Lady Winifred Gore and Mrs. Dougal Malcolm, Mr. and Lady Mary Ehart, Viscountess Hambleden and the Hon. Edith Smith, Lord Sheffield, Viscount and Viscountess Dunluce. the Countess of Selkirk, Lord and Lady Stuart-Wortley, Grace Countess of Weymss, the Dowager Countems of Airlie. Lady Helen Mitford, Mrs. L'Estrange. Mrs. L'Estrange Malone, Lady Alwyne Compton. Lady Victoria Russell and the Misses Russell. Lady Jane Combe and the Misses Combe. Lady Blanche Conyngham, Lady (Francis) Howard, Lady Gore, Lady Paget aind Miss Winifred Paget. ....
Men from nthe ship on which the Earl of Carlislc served at the Battle of Jutlaud formed a Guard of honour as the brlde and bridegroom left the church. There was no reception after the ceremony, but relatives went on to Farm House, Pont Street. Later the Earl (23) and Countess of Carlisle left to spend the honeymoon at Muncaster Castle, the brlde vearing a dress of mole-coloured chiffon velvet with a fur coat aud a mole velvet toque.