History of Church of St Mary the Virgin, Tittleshall
1400. Parish Church of St Mary the Virgin, Tittleshall. C14 and later. Flint with ashlar dressings and a brick mausoleum. Slate and lead roofs. Western tower, aisleless nave with south porch and chancel with mausoleum to north. C14 west tower with diagonal buttresses. Pair of niches in buttresses with cusped and crocketted ogee arches and statue bases supported by Atlas figures.
On 27 Jun 1598 Bridget Paston -1598 died. Monument in Church of St Mary the Virgin, Tittleshall. Arched niche with kneeling effigy at prie-Dieu which carries the inscription. Flanking pilasters with partly painted carved trophies surrounded by ribbon-work. Carved achievement in strapwork surround above and eight kneeling weepers below.
Armorials top left and top right .
Above the monument an amorial Quarterly: , Crispin, Folkard and Pawe impaling Quarterly of Seventeen with 1 , 2 Peche 3 Leach 4 Somerton 5 Peyver 6 Walcot 7 Berry 8 Craven 9 Kerdeston 10 Wachesam or Sotherton 11 Hethersett 12 Charles 13 Tatshall 14 Hengrave 15 Gerbridge 16 Mautby 17 Basinges?.
On 03 Sep 1634 Edward Coke Lord Chief Justice 1552-1634 (82) died. Monument in Church of St Mary the Virgin, Tittleshall. Simple sarcophagus on pedestal with lying effigy. Pair of flanking Tuscan columns supporting a full entablature with putti on frieze and broken segmental pediment. Carved and painted achievement in and above tympanum flanked by four reclining figures of the Virtues on pediment extrados.
Above. Quarterly of eight: , Crispin, Folkard, Sparham, Nerford, Yarmouth, and Pawe. The crest is broken. Farrer says it was: On a chapeau Azure, turned up Ermine, an ostrich Argent, holding in its mouth a horseshoe Or. The motto reads Prudens qui Patiens.
The effigy was carved by John Hargrave, the rest of the memorial was made by Nicholas Stone Sculptor 1587-1647 (47).
Below the effigy are three shields. Left implaling . His first wife Bridget Paston -1598. Middle . Right impaling ; his second wife Elizabeth Cecil Countess Berkshire 1596-1672 (38).
On 20 Apr 1759 Thomas William Coke 1st Earl of Leicester 1697-1759 (61) died. On 31 Aug 1753 Edward Coke 1719-1753 died. Monument in Church of St Mary the Virgin, Tittleshall commissioned by wife and mother Margaret Tufton Countess Leicester 1700-1778 (58). Erected in 1760. Sculpted by Charles Atkinson. Gadrooned sarcophagus on pedestal with a carved and painted achievement above surrounded by extravagant mantling. Flanked by pair of composite columns supporting a dentilated pediment. Carved bust figures to the sides of the Earl and Countess by Louis-Francois Roubiliac Sculptor 1702-1762 (56).
On 02 Jun 1800 Jane Dutton 1753-1800 (46) died at Bath. Monument in Church of St Mary the Virgin, Tittleshall sculpted by Joseph Nollekens Sculptor 1737-1823 (62). Flat obelisk background. Pedestal with inscription and supporting the carving which is centred around a broken column with standing figure of woman leaning on it in front of opened book. Angel on cloud above and putto below holding up a flaming heart.
On 04 Aug 1915 Lieutenant John Kenelm Digby 1890-1915 (24) was killed in action.
On 18 Oct 1918 Rev Lionel Kenelm Digby 1883-1918 (34) was killed in action.
On 02 Oct 1919 Kenelm William Digby 1872-1919 (47) died at Calcutta.
Memorial in Church of St Mary the Virgin, Tittleshall.