History of St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch

St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch is in Lower Church Street.

Around 1470. St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch. Believed to be Thomas Hastings otherwise a Pilgrim unusual for wearing and Lancastrian Esses Collar.

Around 1474. Exterior of St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch.

Around 1474. Interior of St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch.

After 15 Apr 1526. St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch. Floor slab to Robert Mundu Tailor died 15 Apr 1526.

Diary of Henry Machyn July 1560. 14 Jul 1560. The xiiij day of July was bered the nob[le] erle of Hunting(don) (46) knyght of the garter, with a st[andard] and mony morners, and then cam ys grett baner of [arms], and then cam mo morners, and then cam iij har[olds of arms] in ther cott armurs, on bare the helme and the [crest] and the mantylles, and a-nodur cared the targett with the g [arter] and the sword, and a-nodur ys cott armur, and then [came] the cors with viij goodly grett banar-rolles a-b [out] hym; and then mony mornars; and the chyrche and the [place] and the strett hangyd with blake and armes; and ther was a goodly hers, and garnyshed with grett skochyons of armes, and a grett mageste of taffata and the valans gyldyd, and a-pone hym a nuw pall of blake velvett, and iij haroldes, master Garter (50), master Clarenshux (50), and (blank)

IN 1593 Reverend Arthur Hildersham 1553-1632 was appointed Vicar of St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch through the influence of his cousin Henry Hastings 3rd Earl Huntingdon 1535-1595 (58) (they both had Margaret York Countess Salisbury 1473-1541 as an ancestor) but was subsequently dismissed for his radical views.

Around 1535 Unknown Painter. Portrait of unknown woman thought to be Margaret York Countess Salisbury 1473-1541. She holding a wine butt on a thread between her fingers which may refer to her father's death.

After 1632. St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch. Monument to Reverend Arthur Hildersham 1553-1632.

After 1632. St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch. Monument to Margery Wright -1632. Born in Ashby de la Zouch she donated £43 to provide gowns for vertain aged and poor people which gift lasted for 300 years.

After 17 Jun 1791 . St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch. Dedication to Selina Shirley Countess Huntingdon 1707-1791.

In 1745 Andrea Soldi Painter 1703-1771. Portrait of Theophilus Hastings 9th Earl Huntingdon 1696-1746 and Selina Shirley Countess Huntingdon 1707-1791 and their two children.

After 17 Jan 1798. St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch. Monument to Thomas Kirkland 1721-1798.

After 03 Aug 1824. St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch. Monument to Thomas John Kirkland 1760-1824.

On 25 Jun 1828 Reverend Robert Behoe Radcliffe 1797-1832 (30) was instituted as Vicar of St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch which position he held until he died four years later in 1832. His appointment has been arranged by George Augustus Francis Rawdon-Hastings 2nd Marquess Hastings 1808-1844 (20) to whom he was formerley Tutor.

After 19 Jan 1852. Monument to Mary Cantrell 1800-1852 at St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch.

29 Oct 1915. Coalville Times. Memorial Service at Ashby Church.

At the Ashby Parish Church on Wednesday afternoon, a memorial service was held for the late Capt. Paulyn Charles James Reginald Rawdon-Hastings (25), and 2nd Lieut. Edward Hugh Hastings Rawdon-Hastings (20), only sons of Lady Maude Hastings (58) and the late Hon. Paulyn Hastings (59) of the Manor House, Ashby, who have fallen in the defence of their country. Capt. Hastings (25) was in the 5th Battalion Leicestershire Territorial Regiment, commanding A (Coalville and Ashby) Co. and was killed in the great battle about the middle of this month when the Leicestershire Territorials assisted in the capture of two lines of German trenches. His brother, Lieut. Hastings (25), was in the 2nd Black Watch, and had gone to the front, but about six weeks ago contracted enteric and died in a military hospital in France.

There was a crowded congregation at the memorial service, many being unable to find seats. The members of the family present included Lady Maude Hastings (58) (mother), the Misses Hastings (four sisters) [Note. Edith Maud Rawdon-Hastings 12th Countess Loudon 1883-1960 (32), Elizabeth Frances Abney Hastings Viscountess St Davids 1884-1974 (31), Flore Anne Rawdon-Hastings 1885-1950 (30) and Isabel Jacqueline Rawdon-Hastings 1887-1917 (28)], Earl of Loudoun (60) (uncle), the Duke (67) and Duchess (61) of Norfolk, (uncle and aunt), Earl (63) and Countess Verulam (62), and Lady Jane Joddrell (66). Also present were Mr J. G. Shields, J.P., of Isley Walton (agent for the Donington estate to which the late Capt. Hastings was the heir), Lady Beaumont, Mr R. Lawton, J.P., whose son, a brother officer of Captain Hastings was mortally wounded about the same time), members of the Ashby Urban Council and practically all the leading residents of the neighbourhood.

All the clergy holding benefices in the Hastings family were invited to attend. They were the Rev. J. Hewitson (Measham), the Rev. E. Finch (Breedon-on-the-Hill), the Rev. G. Moore (Packington), and the Rev. B. Kenyon (Blackfordby). Others invited and present included the Rev. H. E. Worthington, R. D. (Netherseal), the Rev. D. W. Lloyd (Ticknall), the Rev. C. T. Moore (Appleby), and the Rev. A. Phillemore (Willesley).

Several military officers in uniform were present, including Col. German, Capt. Stevenson, Staff-Capt. Hassall and Lieut. Faulkner, also a contingent of the 2/5th Leicesters, a number of wounded soldiers from the Ashby Cottage Hospital and all the members of the Ashby Grammar School Cadet Corps in khaki, under command of Lieut. C. Elliott.

The service was conducted by the Rev. H. R. Sawyer (vicar), assisted by the Rev. F. E. Hobbs (curate) and the Rev. W. Fowley (Vicar of Holy Trinity, Ashby), the latter reading the lesson 1 Cor: 15c from v20 to end. The hymns sung were, “Now the labourer’s task is over," “Peace, perfect peace," and “On the resurrection morning." Mr Underwood, one of the Grammar School masters, officiated at the organ – the regular organist, Mr Walter Handford, being at the front – and after the singing of the National Anthem, played the Dead March. At the conclusion, buglers of the 2/5th Leicesters, under Sergt.-Drummer Crossley, outside the church sounded “The Last Post."

The service was very impressive and many of the congregation were in tears. Both the deceased officers were very popular in the town and district of Ashby and the greatest public sympathy is felt for Lady Maude Hastings and the family in their terrible loss.

As Lady Maude Hastings passed with other mourners into her home, nearby the buglers were called to “Attention." The Earl of Loudoun (60) in highland dress saluted, and the Duke of Norfolk (67) took off his hat and conversed with the sergeant in charge. His Grace and the Duchess, who have been staying with Lady Hastings, left the Manor House yesterday afternoon.

A touching incident was noticed at the memorial service for Capt. and Lieut. Hastings at Ashby Parish Church on Wednesday afternoon. In the congregation, seated throughout the service was a wounded soldier from the Cottage Hospital whose foot and leg were heavily bandaged and who could only get along with the aid of crutches and assistance. By his side sat a nurse, and despite her kindly remonstrance’s, the gallant soldier at the close of the service, persisted in standing whilst the National Anthem was sung. It was obviously an effort for him to do so, notwithstanding which he remained standing on one leg while the congregation sung all three verses.

Read More ...

After 14 Jun 1918. Monument to Reverend Robert Behoe Radcliffe 1797-1832 at St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch. This monument replacing one that fell on 14 Jun 1918.

Before 1950. Other monuments in the nave and chancel at St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch.

Hasting's Chapel St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch, Lower Church Street, Leicestershire

Before 1560. Interior of the Hasting's Chapel St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch.

Around 1560. Hasting's Chapel St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch. Monument to Francis Hastings 2nd Earl Huntingdon 1514-1560 (46) and Catherine Pole Countess Huntingdon 1511-1576 (49) by Richard Parker of Burton on Trent. Chest tomb with five sons on one side, five daughters on the other side, and eldest son on the end. Elizabethan Period. Leg Garter. Garter Robes. Widow's Barbe. Lancastrian Esses and Inter-twined Knots Collar. Feet resting on the Manticore badge of the Hasting's family.

Inscription: "Here lyeth ye corps of Francys late Erle of Hutyngdun, Lord Hastyngs, Hungerford, Botreaux, Molyns, and Moyles, Knight of ye honorable order of ye Garter, which deceased ye XXth daye of June ao Dni 1561: and ye ladie Katheryn, Countisse of Hutyngdon his wife, which deceased ye XXIIId daye of Sepbr anno dni 1576". Moved at least twice. Some restoration.

On 14 Dec 1595 Henry Hastings 3rd Earl Huntingdon 1535-1595 (60) died at York. On 26 Apr 1596 Henry Hastings 3rd Earl Huntingdon 1535-1595 (61) was buried at Hasting's Chapel St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch. George Hastings 4th Earl Huntingdon 1540-1604 (55) succeeded 4th Earl Huntingdon 7C 1529, 6th Baron Hastings 2C 1430, 8th Baron Hungerford, 6th Baron Moleyns, 9th Baron Botreaux 1368. Dorothy Port Countess Huntingdon -1607 by marriage Countess Huntingdon.

On 26 Apr 1596 Francis Hastings 1560-1595 (36) was buried at Hasting's Chapel St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch.

1698. Hasting's Chapel St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch. Part of the monument to Francis Hastings 2nd Earl Huntingdon 1514-1560 and Catherine Pole Countess Huntingdon 1511-1576 constructed at the request of Theophilus Hastings 7th Earl Huntingdon 1650-1701 (47) in 1698 to repair damage caused during the Civil War at which time the monument was moved to the side of the chapel. The inscription of the Urn reads "Theophilus, Earl of Huntingdon, as a last service, caused this chapel to be decorated, and this tomb to be restored, in glorious memory of his most illustrious forefathers whose remains are buried here. Done in faith, 1698”."

The top armorial is of Francis Hastings 2nd Earl Huntingdon 1514-1560.

The bottom armorial is Catherine Pole Countess Huntingdon 1511-1576. Hers possibly bigger, and more prominent as a consequence of her royal ancestry. Quarters, some of which are also quartered. From top to bottom, left to right, somewhat speculatively:

Top Left Quarter: Left Side: Hastings, Unknown Arms, Hungerford Arms, Unknown Arms. Right Side: Unknown Arms, Unknows Arms with frogs which may be a mis-represented version of De La Pole.

Top Right Quarter: York, Unknown Arms, Neville differenced with a label three points argent, Beauchamp, Beaumont.

Bottom Left Quarter: Possible St John, Unknown Arms, Hungerford, Montagu [Note. The or (gold) colour should be argent (white)?].

Bottom Right Corner. Holland, Unknown Arms, Unknown Arms, Quartered: Clare and Despencer.

After 30 May 1701. Hasting's Chapel St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch. Monument to Theophilus Hastings 7th Earl Huntingdon 1650-1701 sculpted by Grinling Gibbons Sculptor 1648-1721.

After 13 Nov 1746. Hasting's Chapel St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch. Monument to Theophilus Hastings 9th Earl Huntingdon 1696-1746. The bust in the roundel of his wife Selina Shirley Countess Huntingdon 1707-1791 sculpted by John Michael Rysbrack 1694-1770. The monument was designed by William Kent. The obelisk sculpted by Joseph Pickford. The epitaph was written by Henry St John 1st Viscount Bolingbroke 1678-1751.

In 1745 Andrea Soldi Painter 1703-1771. Portrait of Theophilus Hastings 9th Earl Huntingdon 1696-1746 and Selina Shirley Countess Huntingdon 1707-1791 and their two children. In 1745 Andrea Soldi Painter 1703-1771. Portrait of Theophilus Hastings 9th Earl Huntingdon 1696-1746 and Selina Shirley Countess Huntingdon 1707-1791 and their two children. In 1753 Andrea Soldi Painter 1703-1771. Portrait of John Michael Rysbrack 1694-1770. In 1728 John Vanderbank Painter 1694-1739. Portrait of John Michael Rysbrack 1694-1770. Around 1735 Charles Jervas Painter 1675-1739. Portrait of Henry St John 1st Viscount Bolingbroke 1678-1751. Before 28 May 1745 Johnathan In 1718. Charles D'Agar Painter 1669-1723. Portrait of Henry St John 1st Viscount Bolingbroke 1678-1751.

After 13 Jan 1844. Hasting's Chapel St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch. Monument to George Augustus Francis Rawdon-Hastings 2nd Marquess Hastings 1808-1844.

After 17 Jan 1851. Hasting's Chapel St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch. Monument to Paulyn Reginald Serlo Rawdon-Hastings 3rd Marquess Hastings 1832-1851.

After 11 Jun 1892. Hasting's Chapel St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch. Monument to Warner Hastings 15th Earl Huntingdon 1868-1939 and Maud Maragaret Wilson Countess Huntingdon 1868-1953.

After 13 Oct 1915. Hasting's Chapel St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch. Monument to Captain Paulyn Charles James Reginald Abney-Hastings 1889-1915 and Edward Hugh Hastings Abney-Hastings 1895-1915, only sons of Major Paulyn Abney Hastings 1856-1907 and Maud Grimston 1857-1929, who died on active service within one month of one another.

After 14 Jul 1917. Hasting's Chapel St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch. Monument to Isabel Jacqueline Rawdon-Hastings 1887-1917.

After 02 Dec 1926. Hasting's Chapel St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch. Monument to Major Hubert James Cecil Rostron 1875-1926.

On 05 Apr 1939 Warner Hastings 15th Earl Huntingdon 1868-1939 (70) died. He was buried at Hasting's Chapel St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch. Francis_Hastings (38) succeeded 16th Earl Huntingdon 7C 1529. Cristina Casati Stampa di Soncino Countess Huntingdon 1901-1953 (38) by marriage Countess Huntingdon.

In or after 1990. Hasting's Chapel St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch. Monument to Lieutenant-Colonel Robin Hood William Stewart Hastings 1917-1990 (72).

After 24 Aug 1990. Hasting's Chapel St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch. Monument to Francis Hastings 16th Earl Huntingdon 1901-1990 and his wife Margaret Lane Countess Huntingdon 1907-1994.

On 24 Aug 1990 Francis Hastings 16th Earl Huntingdon 1901-1990 (89) died. He was buried at Hasting's Chapel St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch.

After 21 Oct 2011. Hasting's Chapel St Helen's Church Ashby de la Zouch. Monument to Moorea Hastings 1928-2011.