River Wear

River Wear is in North Sea.

1127. Over the River Wear. Commissioned in 1127 by Bishop Ranulph Flambard (age 67). The bridge was damaged by floods in the fifteenth century and rebuilt by the then Bishop Langley. The current bridge is of two shallow arches, each with several reinforcing ribs. There may have been a further arch as indicated in a watercolor by Thomas Girtin.

From 1772 to 1778. Prebends Bridge, Durham [Map] over the River Wear. Designed by George Nicholson. Commissioned by the Dean of Durham and served as a private road for the Dean and Chapter of Durham, giving access from the south through the Watergate.

1963. Kingsgate Bridge, Durham [Map] over the River Wear designed by Ove Arup; the last structure he designed.

680 Synod of Heathfield

Bede. Among those who were present at this synod, was the venerable John, archchanter of the church of the holy Apostle Peter, and abbot of the monastery of St. Martin, who came lately from Rome, by order of Pope Agatho, together with the most reverend Abbot Biscop, surnamed Benedict, of whom mention has been made above, and this John, with the rest, signed the declaration of the Catholic faith. For the said Benedict, having built a monastery [Map] in Britain, in honour of the most blessed prince ot the apostles, at the mouth of the river Were went to Rome with Ceolfrid, his companion and fellow labourer in that work, who was after him abbot of the same monastery; he had been several times before at Rome, and was now honourably received by Pope Agatho of blessed memory; from whom he also obtained the confirmation of the immunities of this monastery, being a bull of privilege signed by apostolical authority, pursuant to what he knew to be the will and grant of King Egfrid, by whose consent and gift of land he had built that monastery.

Bede. Resolving to quit the secular habit, and to serve him alone, she withdrew into the province of the East Angles, for she was allied to the king [Note. His sister-in-law]; being desirous to pass over from thence into France, to forsake her native country and all she had, and so live a stranger for our Lord in the monastery of Cale, that she might with more ease attain to the eternal kingdom in heaven; because her sister Heresuid, mother to Aldwulf, king of the East Angles, at that time living in the same monastery, under regular discipline, was waiting for her eternal reward. Being led by her example, she continued a whole year in the aforesaid province, with the design of going abroad; afterwards, Bishop Aidan being recalled home, he gave her the land of one family on the north side of the river Wire; where for a year she also led a monastic life, with very few companions.

Sunderland Bridge [Map] originally carried the Great North Road (A1) across the River Wear, and probably dates back to the 14th century. It is built of dressed sandstone with four semicircular arches. The bridge has undergone several rebuilds, with the end arches being rebuilt in 1770, the parapets widened in 1822, and new end walls built in the 19th century.

The adjacent new bridge.

Initials of the builders of the 1769 rebuild.

One of the original mileposts now hidden in bushes.

Old Bridge House once a Coaching Inn.