Herefordshire School of Carving is in Carvers.
St Leonard's Church, Ribbesford [Map]. Herefordshire School of Carving Tympanum. Archer aiming at what appears to be a bird with dog beneath. The description 'bird' somewhat difficult. Others call it a 'fishlike monster'. The capitals are carved with large bird pecking small bird, intertwined knots, and snakes.
1100. St Peter and St Paul's Church, Rock [Map]. Herefordshire School of Carving. It was commissioned around 1150 by Roger Tosny. The nave and chancel are Norman but the south aisle and tower date from 1510. Restorations were carried out in 1861, 1881 and early in 20th Century.
Roger Tosny: Roger Tosny and Ida aka Gertrude Hainault were married. Around 1104 he was born to Raoul Tosny (age 24) and Alice Northumbria at Flamstead. On 29 Sep 1157 Roger Tosny (age 53) died at Flamstead.
The South Door at St John the Baptist's Church, Letton [Map] has a red sandstone lintel with with geometric pattern to centre and two zig-zags to each end. Jambs are mostly of tufa and continue the zig-zag to round super-arch where the motif changes to semi-circles. Label with nailhead design. Appears to be Herefordshire School of Carving.
Around 1150. The Eardisley [Map] Font. A fine example of the Herefordshire School of Carving. Several scenes ... Two knights in combat, either with each other or the tendrils of evil. To the right of the knights is the Harrowing of Hell where Christ, holding the Cross, is pulling Adam by his forearm out of hell. There is another figure holding a book; unclear as to who he represents. A particularly well carved lion; possibly the Lion of Judah. The two knights prossibly represent the duel between Sir Ralph de Baskerville with his father-in-law Lord Drogo of Clifford Castle whom Baskerville alleged to have stolen some of his land. Baskerville killed Drogo then bought a pardon from the Pope.
The Herefordshire School of Carving at St Giles' Church, Pipe Aston [Map]. Tympanun over the North doorway. An "agnus dei" - lamb of God - flanked by a winged eagle and a winged bull surrounded byan archivolt of animals and foliage enclosed within a chevroned arch. The church guide describes the eagle as the emblem of St John complementing the winged bull emblem of St Luke which has at the end of one of its forelegs a block that is assumed to be St Luke’s Gospel. Malcolm Thurlby, in this excellent book "The Herefordshire School of Romanesque Sculpture" suggest the carving is of a griffin. The imposts at the end of the arches have, on the left, dragons entwined, and, on the right, foliage.