To Do List is in General Things.
The church is famous for being the place where Guy Fawkes was baptised on 16 April 1570. The interior contains an elegant reredos in the Baroque style by John Etty of 1702, with contemporary altar rails. This sits alongside other 18th century memorials.
The church has a Jacobean memorial to James Harington and his wife facing each other, praying in a kneeling position. Over the vestry door in the south aisle, is a Norman tympanum..
Carolyn Baxter. 21 September at 18:39. Two elaborate monuments in St Nicholas' Chapel, King's Lynn, Norfolk. The first one is to Thomas Snelling and his wife Margaret. 3 children and a baby lie undernath the parents. Thomas, twice mayor of Thetford and a wealthy merchant died at the age of 39. The other larger monument is that of Thomas Greene (died 1675) and his wife Susannah Barker. He was Mayor of King's Lynn. Probably a wealth merchant too, his and susannah's 5 daughters and 4 sons are shown underneath. The incised slab which was very hard to photograph is of a member of the Cruso family. Daniel Defoe apparently visited King's Lynn, and enjoyed himself there! There are several Crusos in this very large chapel. There is a Robinson Cruso but I could not locate his ledger slab.
Around 1100. St Andrew's Church, Haughton-le-Skerne [Map]. Built on site of earlier Saxon church. West tower of 2 stages, aisleless nave and chancel. Norman windows remain in chancel south wall and the west and south doorways are Norman with single - nook shafts, simple cushion capitals and heavy impost blocks. Interior has pews, pulpit and lectern dated 1662 but still largely Jacobean in style.
On 27 Feb 1520 Simon Digby (age 49) died at Coleshill. He was buried at the Church of St Peter and St Paul, Coleshill [Map]. The tomb and effigies are of alabaster. The man's head rests on his helm, which has lost its crest. He wears full plate and mail armour of the period and a collar of S.S., a sword on his left, and the remains of his dagger on his right. His hands are in prayer; the gauntlets lie by his right leg. His feet rest against a lion. The woman, on his left, has her head resting on cushions with tiny angels, now headless, holding the corner tassels. She wears a veiled pedimental headdress, a chain necklace, a tight corsage below a sideless gown which has a full skirt. About her waist is a girdle with tasselled pendant cords and a medallion from which is suspended a chain and pomander sachet. At her feet are two tiny dogs. The sides of the tomb are panelled with foiled diamonds in squares enclosing shields. At the angles are twisted shafts painted black. The capping is moulded and has a frieze on which is carved the inscription in Latin. The moulded plinth is enriched with flower or foliage paterae. The shields are painted with the arms of Digby and Walleys.
A fine memorial at the west end of the south aisle to Sir Gilbert Pryn Knight d1627. Two kneeling figures face each other; the lower section has five kneeling children carrying skulls; two daughters with ruffs kneel on a projecting platform. The monument is flanked by pilasters and obelisks supported by putti. An entablature is crowned by a shield and helmets flanked by urns. Two long inscriptions below.
On 26 Dec 1635 Walter Pye of The Mynde in Herefordshire (age 64) died. He was buried at St David's Church, Much Dewchurch where there is elaborate alabaster monument to his memory..
In 1710 Thomas Pollard (age 29) died. He was buried at St James' Church, Abbots Bickington [Map] where there is a monument to him. On a rectangular panel with arched top between two Corinthian columns and below a broken classical pediment is the following inscription: Here under lyes ye body of Tho: Pollard ye son of Sr. Ames Pollard Bart. who departed this life Decem(be)r ye 9th 1710 ye 29th year of his age. He had to wife Sarah ye daughter of Jonathan Prideaux of Thu(borough) Esqr. who by ye order of her dear deceas'd husband hath set up this monument in remembrance of him & doth desire to be laid here her selfe when it doth please God to take her hence. Above on either side is an angel holding an escutcheon
On or before 07 May 1718 Teresa Widdrington died. She was buried on 07 May 1718 at All Saints' Church, Leamington Hastings.
On 08 Apr 1737 George Beaumont 4th Baronet (age 73) died unmarried. He was buried at the Church of St Mary and All Saints, Stoughton [Map] where he has a memorial scuplted by Peter Scheemakers (age 46). His brother Reverend Lewis Beaumont 5th Baronet (age 64) succeeded 5th Baronet Beaumont of Stoughton Grange in Leicestershire.
In 1772 the old medieval church of Compton Murdak which stood a short way to the South East of Compton Verney House, Warwickshire near the lake was demolished to open up views from the house. An obelisk now marks the site of the original church and crypt.
Brown replaced it with a new chapel [Map] located on the slope to the north of the house, which was begun in 1776 and completed in 1780. It is a plain, Palladian-style Chapel built in 1776-9 to Brown's design to the north of the house, for a total cost of £981 10s 4d. The tombs of earlier Verneys were moved to the new chapel, along with a mixture of English heraldic and German Renaissance glass panels which had either decorated the old chapel or were collected by a stained-glass dealer during the 1770s. Today, it stands as a rare example of a building designed by Brown.
In 1785 Henry Hoare "The Magnificient" (age 80) died. He was buried at St Peter's Church, Stourton. His great-nephew Richard Colt Hoare 2nd Baronet (age 26) inherited his Stourhead, Wiltshire [Map] estates.
On 25 Apr 1785 Charles Tynte 5th Baronet (age 74) died. Baronet Tynte of Halswell in Somerset extinct. He was buried on 08 Sep 1785 at the Church of St Edward King and Martyr, Goathurst [Map] where he has amonument by Joseph Nollekens (age 47). His estates were inherired by his niece Jane Hassell, daughter of his sister Jane Tynte, who had married Colonel John Johnson aka Kemeys-Tynte who changed his name from Johnson to Kemeys-Tynte.
On 09 Dec 1812 William Russell of Powich Court (age 62) died. He was buried at St Peter's Church, Powick.
On 02 May 1821 Hester Lynch Salusbury (age 81) died at 10 Sion Row, Clifton of complications after a fall. She was buried with her second husband Gabriel Mario Piozzi at the Church of Corpus Christi, Tremeirchion [Map].
Hester Lynch Piozzi. "Doctor Johnson's Mrs Thrale". Born 1741. Died 1821. Witty. Vivacious and Charming. In an Age of Genius She Ever Held a Foremost Place This Tablet is Erected by Orlando Butler Fellowes Grand-Son of Sir James Fellowes. The Intimate Friend of Mrs. Piozzi and her Executor. Assisted by Subscriptions. 28th April 1909.
On 07 Feb 1827 George Howland Beaumont 7th Baronet (age 73) died without issue at Coleorton Hall. He was buried at St Mary the Virgin Church, Coleorton [Map]. His half first cousin once removed George Howland Willoughby Beaumont 8th Baronet (age 28) succeeded 8th Baronet Beaumont of Stoughton Grange in Leicestershire.
On 22 Feb 1876 James Thomas Law (age 86) died. He was buried in a Mausoleum originally constructed for his wife Henrietta Charlotte Grey at St Michael on Greenhill Church, Lichfield. it resembles a canopied medieval tomb. The structure was surmounted by a clock with two dials which were illuminated at night by gas. The clock is now missing and the mausoleum somewhat overgrown.
St Michael and All Angels' Church Thornton [Map]. On each side of the western entry to the nave, under the gallery, is an alabaster effigy; on the left of John Barton, who died in 1437, and on the north side is Isabella, his wife who died in 1457. In the body of the nave is the font, then the alabaster effigy of a 14th-century priest. Beyond these is the re-assembled tomb chest of Robert Ingylton. This had been moved from the church at the beginning of the 19th century and used to form a grotto in the grounds of the house. Its remains were discovered in 1945 and reassembled in the church the following year. The top of the tomb is covered by a large brass inscribed with the figures of a man in armour, three wives, and 14 children, all framed by a canopy with four gables. The sides of the freestone chest are carved with niches containing figures of saints.
This alabaster effigy lies on a high table-tomb, also of alabaster, in the north-east corner of the chancel. The sides of the tomb-chest are decorated with weepers, consisting of men in armour and ladies, each kneeling on a pedestal under a cusped ogee-headed Gothic arch, which are divided from each other by upright pinnacle shafts. As the tomb is positioned in the north-corner, only the south and west-sides are visible. The whole tomb and effigy is made of veined alabaster, similar to Martley.
The south-side of the tomb-chest consists of six kneeling men in armour, with their hands held together, facing east. They have long bobbed hair and are wearing tabards over their complete suits of armour. Positioned over the legs are shields, which are plain. No colour or heraldic arms remain on them.
The west-side of the tomb-chest consists of one kneeling man facing south, represented in the same manner as on the south-side, and also three ladies huddled together facing north with a shield over their legs. No colour remains on the shields.
A frieze with a torus moulding runs around the tomb above the alabaster panels. The frieze on the south-side has a Gothic inscription, which reads: ORATE PRO AIMA HUMFRIDI SALLWEY DOMINUS DE STANFORD ARMIGERI ET JOCOSE UXORIS EIUS QUI PREDICTUS HUMFRIDIUS [QUONDAM] [ISTI??] JOCOSA OBITT ANNO DOMINI MILLESIMO CCCC. (pray for the soul of humphrey salley lord of stanford esquire and of joyce his wife who the aforesaid humphrey [former?] [them?] joyce died ad one thousnad 400). When the tomb was removed from the old church and re-erected in present church in 1769, the frieze was reassembled incorrectly. Thomas Habington record the original inscription which is given in full below.
The effigy is represented lying flat on his back, straight-legged and with the hands in the conventional praying position. The head of the effigy rests on a 'frog-mouthed' tilting helm, which has a Saracen's crest on a twisted wreath. The head is uncovered, with the hair long at the back and short across the forehead. Protecting the neck is a mail standard with a stiff rim. The lower fringe has a vandyked border. The rings of mail are realistically represented. A similar effigy at Norbury, Staffordshire [Map], that of Sir Nicholas Fitzherbert ob.1473, has a mail standard which is secured at the back of the neck by a hexagonal bolt. Hanging around the neck and falling on the upper chest is a SS collar. The two ends are held together by a trefoil-shaped pendant.
The shoulders are protected by a pair of asymmetrical pauldrons of nine pieces all overlapping counter-tile-wise. The lowest lame has a series of cusps along its lower edge. Both pauldrons have a small reinforce plate shaped like a jousting shield, which has the top-edge angled forward. They are secured to the lowest lame of the pauldron by a square-headed bolt. Represented on the second and fourth lames of the pauldron, is a pair of arming points, utilised to secure the pauldron to the arming doublet. Protecting the upper and lower forearms are closed cannons. Each of the upper cannons is fastened on the inside by a single strap and buckle, secured to its plate by a single round-headed rivet. The buckle has a double loop with a D-shape chape. The outside has an oblong hinge made of two pieces and secured to their plates by three round-headed rivets. Clearly shown on both the inside and outside is a longitudinal joint. The lower cannons have a single strap and buckle on the inside, represented in the same manner as that on the upper cannons. The couters are fluted with scalloped-shaped side wings, and are laced to the straps linking the two cannons by a pair of arming points. Each has two articulating lames above and below. A square-head rivet is represented between the two arming points which secures the strap around the elbow. On the hands are plate mitten gauntlets with long pointed cuffs, longitudinally boxed in two places. Four pointed lames protect the backs of the hands, overlapping tile-wise.
The torso is protected by somewhat globular upper and lower breastplates, the latter which tapers upwards to a point high on the chest, and has four cusps on each side, which appears to extend well below the waist to form a flange to support the skirt of plates. The upper breastplate is joined to the lower by a strap and buckle on the left and right sides of the chest and also high on the chest, on the point. The straps and buckles are secured to its plate by a single round-headed rivet. The buckle has a double loop with a D-shape chape. Clearly shown on the both sides of the waist under the arms is a longitudinal closing joint, with two hinges represented on the right side and one strap and buckle on the left side, which secures the lower breastplate to the back-plate. The straps, buckles and hinges are represented in the same manner as those on the upper cannons. The skirt consists of six hoops over-lapping counter-tile-wise, which are secured on the left side by three straps with buckles, represented in the same manner as those on the upper cannons. The hoops have a series of cusps along their top edge, and are represented with a longitudinal closing joint on both sides of the hips. Strapped to the fifth lowest lame of the skirt are four small bluntly-pointed tassets, which have two cusps on each side, two are attached to the back of the skirt. Each tasset is secured by two straps with buckles and are decorated with an upward-pointed chevron. The sculptor has only shown half of the rear tassets. The straps and buckles of the tassets are represented in the same manner as on the left side of the skirt. Below the plate skirt hang three triangles of mail. The rings of the mail are realistically represented. It is impossible to know whether these were intended to represent the lower edge of a mail skirt attached to an arming-doublet, or a fringe attached to the lowest lame of the skirt.
Passing diagonally across the waist from high on the right side is a sword-belt. The loose end passes behind and is pulled through itself to form a knot. The belt, which is joined in the middle of the effigy by a rectangular buckle, is decorated with square-flowers of four leaves in saltire; positioned at equal intervals with round studs at their centres. The scabbard has almost disappeared: only its locket remains together with part of the quillons. The scabbard is attached to the belt by a loose ring. On the locket is the Sacred Monogram Ihc. Passing diagonally, across the waist, under the sword-belt is a narrow belt, decorated in the same manner as the sword-belt. The belt supports a cord for the dagger on the right. The dagger, on the base of the slab, is now damaged.
The cuisses have a longitudinal closing joint, both on the inside and outside, with two straps and buckles on the inside and two hinges on the outside, represented in the same manner as those on the upper cannons. Each of the poleyns has a central longitudinal ridge. Each is articulated by three lames above and below. The first two lames extend to a shallow central point. The third lames are edged with a series of cusps. The side-wings are shaped like hearts their points to the rear of the leg, with strong scallop-like fluting. The lowest lame, which is broader and deeper than the others, is secured to the greaves by turning-pins on their outer corners. The lower legs are protected by greaves, closed by two straps and buckles on the inside and two hinges on the outside, represented in the same manner as those on the upper cannons. The front plate extends over the ankle bones.
The sabatons are of six tile-wise over-lapping lames extending to a point. Each has a central longitudinal keel. The first lame is secured to the third lame on both sides of the foot by a strap and buckle. The straps and buckles are represented in the same manner as those on the upper cannons. Closing the open joint between the greaves and the sabatons is a gusset of mail. The rings of the mail are realistically represented. Attached to the feet by straps are spurs with slightly-curved arms, the functional part of which are now missing. The spur-straps are decorated in the same manner as the sword-belt.
The lion below the feet looks towards the effigy's right its body is unnaturally elongated. The bushy tail passes between its legs on to its back: the sculptor using the end of the tail as a support for the toes. It is very well preserved, although the sword is mostly missing.
The effigy appears to be from the same workshop as Martley, although some twenty years later. He is rather slender with some fine details represented on the armour. Two effigies closely related to that at Stanford-On-Teme, can be seen for instance, at Radbourne c.1500 and Scropton c.1500 both Derbyshire.
Thomas Habington recorded the effigy in the chancel of the old church thus: 'On the north syde of the chauncell is a fayre and auntient monument raysed vnder an arche, wheare lyethe portrayed in alabaster a man all armed savinge his heade supported with his helmet, on which is a wreathe and his creast, beeinge a Saracen's heade manteled and doubled. About his necke a coller of esses, at his feete a lyon: and dyd not the inscription style hym an Esquyre, I should esteeme hym of greater eminency. On hys leafte hand hys wyfe, with a bonet like a hatt wantinge brims of Sables, laced downe, with a rose on the topp of Or: this rarety makethe mee decipher itt. Her mantell, gowne, and other attyre pretendethe her extraordinary quality: at her feete towe littell dogs. At theyre heades and theyre ryght sydes kneele theyre seavne sonnes, armed all savinge theyre heades, on theyre coates armors Sables, a Salteyre ingrailed Or, and eavery one of them havinge a sheylde of the same armes quartered with Gules, a lyon rampant out of the feyld Argent (which I suppose to bee the paynter's error), and in the dexter point on an Ogress a cinquefoyle of the secound. At theyre feete theyre three daughters prayinge, with Mr. Salweye's armes on theyre gownes. Over all is wrytten, Hic iacent, but about the tombe the inscription is in the begininge obscured with a seate, and I gvesse it to bee Hic iacent corpora Humfredi Salwey quondam (the rest appearethe) Dominus de Stanford Armigeri et Jocosae Uxoris eius qui predictus Humfridus quondam Marscallus curiae Regis Henrici sexti qui obiit An. Do. 14.. Dicta Jocosa obiit An. Do. 14.. Theare are newly paynted over theyre heades Sables, a salteyre ingrayled Or, impalinge Argent, on a fesse betweene six martlets Gules 3 quaterfoiles of the feyld: Salwey impalinge Washborne, subscrybed, John Salwey, buried at Kancke. In the syde of the tombe and face of the monument over the portraitures, Salwey impalinge Palee of six Argent and Azure, subscrybed Humfry Salwey and Sterloy. Next Salwey impalinge Argent, towe lyons queue furche passunt Gules, subscrybed, Thomas Salwey and Lygon. After that, Salwey impalinge Argent a fesse ingrailed Sables fretted Or, in cheife three belles of the secound, subscrybed Thomas Salwey and Porter. Last Salwey impalinge Gules, on a cheueron between three trefoils slypped Argent as many Ogresses, subscrybed, Arthur Salwey and Searle'. Thomas Habington also recorded in the east window of the chancel, Salwey arms, Sable a Saltire ingrailed Or.
The effigy obviously represents Sir Humphrey Salwey as the inscription recorded by Habington on the tomb-chest makes that clear, but it does not give his date of death or his wife's. All that Habington recorded was '14..' The tomb was presumably set up during Humphrey's lifetime with the intention of adding the dates of death later. Humphrey died 14 March 1493. He held the manor of Stanford-On-Teme and lands in Staffordshire, including Cannock. He was an Escheator for Staffordshire and Worcestershire, and an Assessor of a tax in Worcestershire in 1463.
St Mary's Church Cardington [Map]. N transept has monument to Whitbread family. W one to Ive Whitbread and ancestors, by Peter Scheemakers, after 1766, has inscription to base, supporting 2 busts and obelisk. N one to Samuel Whitbread d. 1796, by John Bacon R A, showing Whitbread lying on couch, supported by Faith, who points to heaven, whilst mourning woman kneels at feet. E one to Samuel Whitbread d. 1815, by H. Weekes (dated 1849), showing husband and wife kneeling. N. Chapel has plain wall monument to Henrietta Howard d.l765, with brief inscription to husband John Howard, philanthropist and prison reformer, d. 1790.
Church of All Saints Odell [Map]. Monuments including one by Bacon to the Alston Baronets of Odell. Near Bedford. In the chancel is a monument by Bacon, to Lieut. Thomas Alston, 40th Regt. who fell at Monte Video in 1807, and there are many others to this family of earlier date, including Frances, wife of Thomas Alston, 1644; William Alston esq, 1637; Sir Thomas Alston bart. 1678; and Elizabeth, his wife, 1677; Thomas Alston, their son, 1668; Sir Rowland Alston bart. 1697; and Temperance, his wife, 1728; Vere John Alston, rector, 1762; two later baronets and numerous descendants.
St Bartolemew's Church, Elvaston [Map]. For the Church and Village Hall turn left down the lane off Main Street, Elvaston, signposted Parish Church and Cricket Club. The Church is the first turn to the right once you have passed the "Golden Gates."
Church is locked except on Sundays between 2.30pm and 4.30pm.
Henry and Margaret Robinson (d. 1829)
Elizabeth, Countess of Harrington (d. 1912)
John Stanhope (d. 1638)
Charles Stanhope, 3rd Earl of Harrington (d. 1829) by Antonio Canova
Leicester Stanhope, 5th Earl of Harrington (d. 1862)
Sydney Stanhope, 6th Earl of Harrington (d. 1866)
Lieutenant Talbot FitzRoy Eden Stanhope (1896 - 1915)
Algernon Russell Gayleard Stanhope (1838 - 1847).
St Michael and All Angels Church, Edmondthorpe, Leicestershire [Map]. There are monuments to members of the Smith family who lived in nearly Edmondthorpe Hall. The largest of these, dated 1655, is to Sir Roger Smith, his two wives, his son and his grandson. It is constructed in three tiers, and is made in marble, slate and alabaster. There is a baroque monument in marble and slate to Sir Edward Smith, who died in 1707, a classical marble monument to Olivia Smith dated 1710, a rococo monument in different coloured marbles to Edward Smith, who died in 1762, and a classical marble tablet to Margaret Smith dated 1780.
Church of St Peter and St Paul Lingfield, Surrey [Map]. 1st, 2nd and 3rd Earls of Cobham, dating from 14th and 15th century. Reginald the third Earl's monument is sited right in front of the high altar and he lies immortalised in alabaster with his second wife, Anne, by his side. The quality of the carving is superb. Both he and the second Earl have Saracen's heads as supporters and the second Earl also rests his feet on a full length recumbent one. There is also a large number of brasses and incised stone memorials around the chapels in this amazing church.
One of the delights of Duloe's church is several wonderful 16th-century memorials carved in extremely high relief. One of these is to Anna Coffyn, who died in 1592, and shows her holding a book and a pair of gloves. Her Elizabethan dress is beautifully detailed. Another relief memorial depicts Maria Arundel, (d. 1629), the daughter of Thomas Arundel and niece of Sir John Arundel. Look for the cryptic verse 'Man a dry laurel', which is an anagram of her name. Under the east chapel window are two more Elizabethan slate memorials.
Other monuments include that of Vice-Admiral Sir Edward Buller, Bart of Trenant Park 1764-1824, and to Henry Bewes (1793). In the south wall of the chancel is a colourful pair of 19th-century window in memory of Rev. P Bush and his wife. It was Bush who was responsible for the restoration of the church.
St Swithin's Church, Launcells [Map]. The tomb of Sir John Chamond (1624). The parish church is dedicated to St Swithin: nearby, in the wooded valley is the holy well of St Swithin. There are two aisles but the arcades differ: while the north one is of granite the south is of Polyphant stone. The fine series of over 60 bench-ends is from the same workshop as those of Kilkhampton and Poughill. The Ringers of Launcells Tower; painting by Frederick Smallfield.
St Mary Magdalene Church, Launceston [Map].St Mary Magdalene in Launceston is the most impressive and beautiful late medieval church in Cornwall, featuring superb carved detail on the exterior and a wealth of historic memorials and woodwork inside. In 1353 Edward, the Black Prince, was named Duke of Cornwall. Around 1370 Edward built a chapel a short distance from Launceston Castle. All that remains of that 14th-century chapel is the imposing west tower of St Mary Magdalene church, built of Polyphant stone, 20 feet square at the base and rising 70 feet to an embattled top.
St Peter's Collegiate Church, Wolverhampton [Map]. The tomb of John and Joyce Leveson in the Lady Chapel, 1575, attributed to Robert Royley of Burton on Trent, the oldest surviving monument in the church. John was a cousin of James Leveson, like him a Merchant of the Staple, and like him had financial interests in the deanery and prebends. This financial entanglement ultimately proved ruinous for the church.
St Maddern's Church, Madron [Map]. The church was in early times the mother church of Morvah and Penzance. This monument commemorates the Rev. Duke Pearse and the Rev. Thomas Rowe, the latter having been nearly 16 years Vicar of Madron. Two effigies are depicted, kneeling face to face, with a draped reading desk, on which are two open books between them. The first, facing eastward, is probably the representation of the Rev. Thomas Rowe; his hair is long, and lank when compared with the flowing wig of the opposite figure, which judging from a portrait of him now in the possession of a member of his family, it may be presumed represents the Rev. Duke Pearse, who died at the early age of 27 years. Both these reverend gentlemen wear bands and surplicos and with uplifted faces raise their hands in an attitude of prayer.
Bolton Church [Map]. Arms of Martha Burrill, d.1700, on south of chancel; similar painted coat of arms on north of nave. Several C18 and C19 wall tablets, including monument to Forster family (1790-1809), with draped urn, signed by R. Blore, and 1864 tablet to Lewis de Crespigny Buckle, who perished at sea on the S.S. Nemesis.
St Maurice's Church Eglingham [Map]. On the wall is a brass plaque commemorating Captain John Carr-Ellison who fought in the Crimean War and later served as High Sheriff of Durham. Eglingham church is normally open daylight hours and was open when we visited.
Under the sanctuary is the Collingwood family vault, and hidden under the carpet is a memorial to Ralph Collingwood of East Ditchburn, who died in 1648, and his son Cuthbert (d 1687). Ralph was a direct ancestor of Lord Cuthbert Collingwood, a naval commander who was second in command to Admiral Nelson at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.
St Andrew's Church, Bere Ferrers [Map]There has been a church here, looking over the River Tavy, since the Saxon period. Shortly after the Norman Conquest a new church was built, but this, too, was replaced in the mid 13th century when Sir William de Ferrers founded an Arch Presbytery, with four priests and a deacon under an Arch Priest. The first rector was William's younger brother, Reginald de Ferrers, who was installed in 1258.
St Mary The Virgin Church, Rufford [Map]. Various monuments, mostly from previous chapel and church on this site, including: a small brass of a knight, Sir Robert Hesketh (d.1541) (on north wall of chapel); a large monumental slab of alabaster portraying Thomas Hesketh of Rufford (d.1463) and Margaret his wife, with their children and Hesketh coat of arms at their feet, and lettering round the margin including names; a large table monument with effigy of Sir Thomas Fermor-Hesketh 5th Baronet by Matthew Noble; at east end of south aisle a wall monument to Lady Sophia Hesketh (d.1817), by Flaxman, copiously lettered, and on north wall a tablet to Sir Thomas Hesketh (d.1778), with a verse by the poet Cowper.
St Mary's Church Bletchley [Map]. It is mostly very modern but there are some older towns which have been swallowed up. Bletchley is one such town and it has an older part with a medieval parish church, St Mary's. This contains the tomb of Richard Grey( 1393-1442), 6th Baron of Wilton. He accompanied Henry V to France at the time of the battle of Agincourt and was stationed at a port in France. He has a very fine? alabaster monument. The helmet is 17th century.
Memorials: in chancel a white marble oval wall tablet with urn above to Mary Hammer died 1793 and white marble Neo-Classical Tablet to Bartholomew Prust of 1862 by Baker. In the north aisle a good large early C17 or late C16 monument to a member of the Cole family. Ancient colour survives throughout with Trophy reliefs supporting round-arched recess framing reclining figure in armour with inscription panel (faint) in strapwork cartouche. Flanking Corinthian columns support pulvinated frieze and attic storey with 3 armorials in strapwork frames between 2 obelisks. Limestone grey marble wall tablet to John Whitlake dated 1750 with Roman Doric frame to inscription and urn above. Secondary cartouche in apron below to Mary Whitlake (d.175 ). Plain rectangular white marble tablet inscribed to John Robbins "who was thrown from his horse and perished in a deep snow on 11th Feb 1784". Adjoining above is the apron of a missing C17 limestone monument with skull wings, fronds and cherubim retaining ancient colour and gold. Tablet to Rev Joseph Prust Neo-Classical white and grey marble first half of C19 by Baker.
St Nicholas' Church Fyfield, Oxfordshire [Map]. Tomb of Sir John Golafre (d.1442) at Fyfield in Oxfordshire. His arms are seen on the right of the photograph. Cadaver tombs are double-decker structures with a figure of the deceased clothed in regalia above but enshrouded in death beneath - it is a fitting 'memento mori' and a reminder of the transience of earthly glory..
St Mary's Church, Snettisham [Map]. North transept classical monument to Wymond Carey. Recumbent alabaster effigy under cofferred arch with two columns, strapwork cartouche above, original iron railings to base.
South transept with vaults and mausoleum of Styleman family of Snettisham Old Hall and Hunstanton Hall; monuments from 1680 to 1803, on 1807 signed Richard Cooke.
This fascinating effigy wears a basinet underneath the coif which projects well below the ears. The effigy representes either Sir Ralph de Wysham ob.c.1326 or his son John who died in 1332. Ralph de Wysham was the first of the family to acquire land in Worcestershire, at Woodmanton in the parish of Clifton-on-Teme in c.1280. He was married to Emilia and had two sons, Henry, John and a daughter, Halkysde. They originated from the hamlet of Wyesham, near Monmouth. Ralph had no social position, it was his son John, who was to become amongst other positions Steward of Edward III and justice of North Wales. Sir John's first engagement as a young person was valet to Edward I, but what roll this entailed is not known. He then appears to have belonged to the retinue of John de Warenne, Earl of Surrey, as he was present at the Stepney Tournament in 1309. In 1311 John de Warenne made a grant of land to Sir John at Bromfield, by the service of a knight's fee and in the same year he obtained the manor of Clifton-on-Teme from Roger Mortimer. Sir John's first recorded position came in 1311, when he was appointed constable of the royal castle of St. Briavels and Warden of the Forest of Dean. In 1312 Edward II ordered Sir John to raise one hundred men from the Forest of Dean, and to assemble them in London to resist the barons revolt. Again in 1314 he was appointed commissioner of Array to assemble one hundred men from the Forest of Dean for the war against Robert Bruce, which ended in the English defeat at Bannockburn. In 1318 he married Hawise, daughter of Sir Michael de Poynings, and widow of Sir John de Reydon. In the same year he was appointed custodian of the castle of Knaresborough [Map]. Sir John is also recorded as going to France, the first occasion was in 1320, when he accompanied Thomas of Brotherton, Earl of Norfolk. The occasion was the performance of homage of Edward II to the French King. His second visit to France was in 1324, performing a similar duty. An important position came in the same year 1324, when he was appointed seneschal of the duchy of Aquitaine, which he continued to hold for two years. In 1326 he was appointed a supervisor of array for the counties of Worcestershire and Herefordshire and supervisor of array in Yorkshire. In 1327 he accompanied Sir John de Warenne to France, and within a short time he had returned to England to perform a service of muster at Newcastle: going on to the Marches of Scotland. His most rewarding position came in 1328 when he was appointed Steward of the King's household, which he held for nine months. During his term as Steward he was with the king on a number of occasions. In 1330 he was appointed Justice of North Wales, a position which Roger Mortimer held until his fall from grace in the same year. John died in 1332, when he must have been at least fifty years old. His widow Hawise, survived him some twenty seven years. The arms of Wysham were recorded in the church, together with his wife's, Poyning, and Warenne. The Reverend R.G. Griffiths remarks that John founded a chantry chapel in Clifton-on-Teme church, but gives no direct reference. Given his military and administrative career the effigy is most likely to represent John, rather than his father. It is however possible that John may have commissioned an effigy to his father shortly after his death, but on stylistic appearance, together with the basinet worn underneath the coif and the ring attachment to the scabbard, it would further support the ascription to John as mentioned above. Thomas Habington recorded the effigy in the south aisle and attributed it to a member of the Wysham family. He also recorded in the east and west windows of the south aisle the arms of Wysham: 'Sables, a fesse between six Martlets Argent'.
Church of All Saints Chalgrave [Map]. A fine little church with some nice medieval paintings on the walls and what I think are 2 rather nice late Fourteenth century monuments of knights, one of which displays the arms of the Loring family on his tomb,widely believed to be the tomb of Sir Nigel Loring one of the first Knights of the Garter he fought at the battles of Sluys 1340, Crecy 1346,Poitiers 1356 and at Najera in Spain under the command of the Black prince. The other monument is believed to be to Sir John Broughton who was related to the Loring family via marriage. Both monuments very similar but nice to see two in one small church. Foot Note I forgot to add Sir Nigel Loring was the main character in two of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's books Sir Nigel and The white company..
The Church is open Monday to Friday 10.00 am until 4.00 pm everyday.
Recess in the south wall of the tower contains a broken effigy of a knight of c1375. Under the tower, the mid-C13 headless effigy of a knight . Also under the tower a late C14 alabaster effigy of a knight and a monument to Sir Henry Every +1709, erected c1734. By Thomas Carter the elder. Semi-reclining figure in Roman attire, originally with a pyramid behind.
St Mary's Church, Eastham [Map]. The Stanley chapel contains two altar tombs. One is in alabaster and is to the memory of Charlotte, Lady Stanley, who died in 1662, and the other is in sandstone and commemorates Sir William Stanley who died in 1612. Other memorials in the church are to Sir Rowland Stanley who died in 1613, Lady Haggerston who died in 1836, and Sir Thomas Stanley Massey Stanley who died in 1841.
St Mary Magalene's Church Stapleford, Leicestershire [Map]. Most of the memorials were moved from the earlier church. The oldest, dated 1490, is a brass to Geoffrey Sherard and his wife. There is a black and white marble tomb chest dated 1640. The chest bears two life-size reclining effigies and is carved with images of eleven children. There are a number of busts of members of the Sherard family. The finest memorial is that of the 1st Earl by John Michael Rysbrack. It is dated 1732 and consists of a seated woman with a child, and a half-reclining man, all in Roman clothing. There is also a memorial tablet and a hatchment to the 6th Earl, dated 1859.
St Werburgh's Church Hanbury [Map]. In the south-east corner of the sanctuary is the reclining monument to Charles Egerton who died in 1624 and made of local veined alabaster. In relief on his shield are the arms: [gules] fess between three pheons [argent], on a canton [or] a sinister hand holding [sable] a broken sword [Egerton]. The crest surmounting the helm on the panel on the back wall is a lion rampant holding a battleaxe.
All Saints Church Middle Claydon [Map]. The Church of England parish church of All Saints is in the grounds of Claydon House, a National Trust property. The house was the home of Sir Edmund Verney, an English Civil War Royalist, and of Florence Nightingale. Monument to the Verney Family. Erected 1653. The monument was commissioned by Sir Ralph Verney..
The church contains a very fine series of monuments, the earliest being a brass in the chancel to Isabella Giffard, 1523, with figure and inscription, and the next a figure of a priest, Alexander Anne, 1526. A third brass is to Roger Giffard, 1542, the builder of the chancel, and his wife Mary [Nansicles], with their thirteen sons and seven daughters, and has the arms of Giffard: three lions passant, impaling a cheveron between three lapwings with three stars on the cheveron. The brass is palimpsest on one to Walter Bellingham, 1487, Ireland King of Arms. The most interesting monument in the church is an alter-tomb in the chancel with the alabaster effigy of Margaret Giffard, 1539, a beautiful piece of late Gothic and Italian Renaissance detail. The effigy is of alabaster, and in general design follows the fashion of English effigies of the time, but with a freedom and mastery of detail which give evidence of the new influence. The tomb itself has shields of the Gothic type, but Italian baluster shafts at the angles, and the marginal inscription is in capital letters of mixed Gothic and Italian character. The heraldry gives the arms of Giffard and of Bradfield: three fleurs de lis on a bend quartered with quarterly a border ermine. On the north wall of the chancel is an uninscribed monument with the Giffard arms, of fine Italian detail and about contemporary with Margaret Giffard's monument. There are a number of monuments of the Verneys, who succeeded the Giffards, the earliest being that of Urian and Lettice Verney (d. 1608). Others are Col. Henry Verney (d. 1671), Sir Edmund Verney (d. 1642), Sir Ralph Verney (d. 1696), John Verney (d. 1694) and Mary Verney (d. 1694).
Leominster Priory, Herefordshire [Map]In the churchyard are graves and memorials of members of the theatrical Kemble family including the grandparents of actress Sarah Siddons. The churchyard also contains one war grave of a soldier of the Royal Army Service Corps of World War II. The church is especially notable for the superb 12th-century carving of the west doorway, which has exceptional carved capitals inside and out. This carving was executed by the 'Herefordshire' school of craftsmen, who were also responsible for the superb churches at Kilpeck and Shobdon, among others in the area. One of the interior capitals depicts a Green Man, the wild man of the woods figure linked to pagan fertility symbols.
Church of St James the Great, Paulerspury [Map]. Nick Faris. A brief visit yesterday to the Church of St James the great at Paulersbury Northants mainly to see the tomb and wooden effigies of Sir Lawrence de Paveley and his wife, from around 1340 to 1350, though sadly in not such great shape, some restoration work has been done to them and parts are missing, I am sure they were rather splendid in their day and still well worth viewing today.
Nick Faris. Early 17th century tomb to Sir Arthur Throckmorton and his wife Anne at The church of st James the great Paulersbury Northants.
St John's Church Shobdon [Map].When the 18th-century church was built, the original Romanesque chancel arch was carefully removed and reassembled on the hill overlooking the church. This was linked to two carved doorways with their tympana to create an unusual folly, or eyecatcher. Though somewhat eroded by wind and weather, the arches feature exquisitely detailed Norman carving.
St Mary's Church North Leigh [Map]. The tomb is thought to be that of Sir William Wilcote and his wife (c. 1442). Located in the Wilcote Chapel. 2: Memorial to Henry Perrot (died 1740) by Ricketts of Gloucester. On a high resolution image it is immediately apparent how many of these monuments could do with a really good 'spring-clean'. There are cobwebs everywhere! 3: Dr Robert Perrott, 1605 his wife Mary (Withington) with their 8 children The Perrott family were Lords of the Manor. The Perrott north aisle was later built c1690. 4: Monument to William Lenthall (father of Speaker Lenthall), died 1596 and wife.
St Helen's Church, Burton Joyce [Map]. Monuments include life-size effigy of Robert Jorz de Bethune, c.1400, on chest with shields. Incised cross top. C15 incised cross slab. Brass to Rev. John Gifford, 1662. Recessed alabaster tablet with damaged Latin inscription. 3 early C19 marble and slate tablets. C14 style tablet, 1853. C13 style tablet, 1862. 3 brasses, late C19. Stone War Memorial tablet with wreath, 1918.
Cross-legged effigy of Sir Nicholas Stapleton, died 1290, in good condition, lion at feet, sword, shield and chainmail helmet. Now resting in C19 pointed-arched niche on blind quatrefoiled chest.
William Lawrence, died 1785, by Flaxman. A bust of a young man on a round pillar, with mourning woman to one side, his wife Anne Sophie, heiress to the Studley Royal estate. This is set against a grey marble slab with a pointed-arched top..
St Mary's Church Culford [Map]. The most remarkable and memorable feature of the interior is the memorial in the chancel. It is to Lady Jane Bacon, the wife of the artist Nathaniel Bacon, whose own striking memorial is under the tower now. She sits in a central position with an infant seated on her lap, in what surely must be a conscious echo of the Blessed Virgin and Christchild. This is remarkable, because it dates from the later years of the Puritan Commonwealth, in 1656. She is flanked by her grandchildren who look unnervingly like a set of chess pieces. Sir Nicholas Bacon, their father, her son, died two years after her and lies uncomfortably at her feet. Pevsner thought it sincere, not at all aristocratic.
It is not the largest memorial here. That accolade is reserved for the large, elegant memorial to the Countess of Cadogan, who died in 1907. The north aisle was constructed to accommodate it. Railed in, beneath a dramatic arch with figures of Faith, Hope and Charity, it has echoes of the memorial at Holkham to the Countess of Leicester. The sculptor was Countess Feodora Gleichen..
Church of St Mary, Ecclesfield [Map]. To Do List. The grave of Joseph Hunter (1783–1861), a prominent antiquarian and archivist, and author of the important local history Hallamshire (1819), can be found in the churchyard, at plot 3, grave 1125. Also buried in the churchyard are Alexander John Scott, chaplain to Horatio Nelson, who was present at his death at the Battle of Trafalgar. Sir Richard Watts has a fine alabaster memorial in Ecclesfield church.
St Michael's Church Aynho [Map]. Northamptonshire near to Banbury. Chest tomb to Cartwright family, erected 1654, black and white marble. Panelled sides with shields. Marble wall tablets to Matthew Hutton died 1711 by Edward Stanton, framed with baroque scrolls and draperies. To Thomas Chapman, died 1684, architectural frame with Corinthian columns, scroll pediment and urn and similar tablet to Rhoda Chapman, died 1686, both attributed to William Stanton..
St Bartholomew's Church, Armley [Map].There is a sculpture by Joseph Gott at the west end of the north aisle, a memorial to Benjamin Gott of Armley House who died in 1839. In the south aisle there is Faith comforting the Mourner, commemorating the two sons of Benjamin and Elizabeth Gott who died in Paris and Athens.
Memorial to Abraham Balme main promoter of the Bradford Canal, sculpted by John Flaxman RA.
Monument to Abraham Sharp (d.1742) by Peter Scheemakers
Monument to Faith Sawrey (d.1767) by John "The Younger" Bacon.
Monument to William Northrop (d.1800) by John "The Younger" Bacon.
Monument to Dr William Sharp, surgeon (d.1833) by Joseph Gott.
Monument to Samuel and Mary Hanley by Joseph Gott.
St Michael's Church Penkridge [Map]. To Do List. Tomb of two Sir Edwards Littleton, father and grandfather of the first baronet, at St Michael's Church Penkridge. Lower stage: Sir Edward Littleton (d. 1610) and his wife, Margaret Devereux. Upper stage: Sir Edward (d. 1629), and his wife, Mary Fisher.
St Mary's Church, Easton Neston [Map]. Jasper Hollemans. St Mary's Church is all that remains of the Medieval village of Easton Neston when, following the enclosure of the land, the village was transferred to Hulcote. The church stands adjacent imposing Easton Neston House, designed by Nicholas Hawksmore for the Fermor- later Hesketh - family. The building is a beautiful early mediaeval church The most outstanding feature is the 16th century chancel memorial to Sir George Femor and his wife. There are a number of other monuments to the Fermor- Hesketh family around the church. The re building of the house circa 1700 affected the church with a new pulpit and box pews. The church is full of memorials to the Fermor family (The Earls of Promfret) and later to the Fermor Heskeths (The Lords Hesketh). The earliest are to be found in the chancel. Here you find a panelled tomb chest to Richard Fermor (died 1552) who bought the estate from the Crown after the attainder of Henry VII's minister Richard Empson. Fermor had made a fortune out of wool which will be a recurring theme on this tour. The brasses on top of the chest are a palimpsest of earlier brasses reassembled here. Opposite is the flamboyant tomb to his grandson, Sir George Fermor and his wife Mary Curson. This is attributed to Jasper Hollemans, the son of Garret Hollemans who had come to England circa 1580 and established the family at the alabaster quarries at Burton on Trent. Jasper's few surviving works are best seen in Northamptonshire, here and at Great Brington (he was also responsible for the Spenser tomb at Yarnton near Oxford and the Bassett tomb at Blore in Staffordshire). Here, working in fine soft alabaster, partly painted and gilded, he created a spectacular funerary show topped by a huge peacock's tail of ornamental panels separated by pennons. Elsewhere are columns, obelisks, allegorical figures and heraldic achievements, whilst around the base the Fermor children kneel in relief. Note Mary Curson's fine head dress and Sir George's helmet, topped with the Fermor family crest of a cockerel. On the opposite wall is the memorial of Sir Hatton Fermor and his wife Anne Cockayne, daughter and heiress of the Lord Mayor of London who owned Rushton Hall in the north part of the County. The memorial also includes their eldest son who died the year before it was erected and three of his sisters who appear as half length sculptures along the top, as if sitting in an opera box. This monument because it eventually had to commemorate not two but six people, is somewhat odd in design, but the execution is rather good. Note the swaggering boots of Sir Hatton, who stands to one side, his wife on the other. It is attributed to Pierre Besnier (c. 1630-1693) probably a Huguenot refugee who worked with his brothers under Hubert Le Soeur for Charles I. The civil war clearly affected his career but by the late 1650s he had re-established himself, creating the Shuckbrugh monument in Warwickshire, very like this tomb, and was carving the armorials on the façade of Lamport Hall. Besnier's busts of the sitters that were formerly at Easton Neston are now owned by Northampton Art Gallery. Lastly in the chancel, to the left of the altar, is E H Baily's large wall monument to the 3rd Earl of Pomfret (d. 1830) showing his lordship beside a huge funerary urn. Baily was presumably also engaged at the same time on his large figure of Minerva who, resplendent in gold leaf, sits aloft the entrance to the Athenaeum. Later, he was to provide Nelson for his column in Trafalgar Square. Note also the accomplished gothic wall plaque to Thomas Hatton Fermor (d. 1864) a noted early photographer. Off the chancel is the memorial chapel to more recent members of the Fermor Hesketh family approached through wrought iron gates that formerly stood in the entrance hall of the house. The walls are covered with a variety of tablets: the Anglo-American ancestry of the family revealed in their inscriptions. Particularly notable is the great neo-georgian aedicule to the 1st Lord Hesketh who died in 1944. An unusually large and imposing tomb for the period. An equally impressive alabaster tomb to his son the 2nd Lord Hesketh, an unusual arrangement of geometric shapes, stands at the rear of the north aisle. As you leave the church there are two further wall tombs of particular beauty. The first has been attributed to Sir Francis Chantrey, but there is no evidence to support this and it may be another by Baily to the 2nd Earl and Countess of Pomfret with their children weeping at their loss. This is rather odd when you consider that it seems to have taken those children 30 years to put up the memorial. The Earl died in 1785, his wife two years later, and yet the tomb dates from 1816. Another conundrum, is who is the other man conspicuous here? Nearby, another work by Baily, this time to the 2nd Earl's daughter Lady Charlotte with her husband, Peter Denys and their daughter, also called Charlotte. Rather touchingly the memorial is initialled so you know who is commemorated where: LCD (Lady Charlotte Denys), CD (Charlotte Denys), PD (Peter Denys) - not I think a common practice.
Church of St Peter Kirkthorpe [Map]. The chief merit of the church is a fine collection of C18 wall monuments. The most important of these is the Stringer Monument by Guelfi: 2 detached busts on a sarcophagus with straight tapering sides; background by Kent with inscription, a frame starting from 2 big volutes and crowned by an open-segmental pediment carved coat-or-arms with putti. The Smyth chapel has numerous monuments dating from 1731; including that to John Smyth of 2 putti uncovering his portrait on an oval medallion, that to Lady Georgina Smyth and others signed by Flaxman; 1799.
Europe, British Isles, North-East England, County Durham, Whickham, St Mary's Church [Map]